Menu
IanGorse
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Registration Failure

For the past three weeks my Virgin Media router loses connection to the internet almost on a daily basis.

When logging into the router, I see a "Registration Failure" error in the Internet Status.

I have been monitoring the connection and as you can see from the result below, in the past two days it has been offline for a total of 16 hours (and this is only since I started monitoring, it has been many more hours previously)

Completely unacceptable

updown.PNG

I phoned VM support when I first encountered it, who just went through a standard first line script (check connections, reboot etc) and went to book an appointment for an enigneer.

A couple of days later it came back online so I cancelled the engineer.

Please, what is the root cause of this issue?

I recently moved into the property, and the installation guy used a new HUB3 router. He didn't take my old HUB3 router so I still have it (and never had an issue with it). Maybe if I can use the older one.

0 Kudos
dnpark38
Well-informed
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Registration Failure

@IanGorse wrote:

For the past three weeks my Virgin Media router loses connection to the internet almost on a daily basis.

When logging into the router, I see a "Registration Failure" error in the Internet Status.

I have been monitoring the connection and as you can see from the result below, in the past two days it has been offline for a total of 16 hours (and this is only since I started monitoring, it has been many more hours previously)

Completely unacceptableupdown.PNG

He didn't take my old HUB3 router so I still have it (and never had an issue with it). Maybe if I can use the older one.

I think VM only allow one hub to be used so you would have to make arrangements with them to change over, I do not know if they would.

VM 50 Mps Broadband and anytime phone.
0 Kudos
IanGorse
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

A little update.

I phoned VM support, explained the situation.

He asked if it fixes itself after a reboot and I said it didn't. He went on to perform the standard script, but I already told him that I have checked the cables, rebooted, and even performed a factory reset.

He then said an Engineer will come out tomorrow!

Unfortuntely, this is extremely inconvenient and I had to decline and said I can only be available at a weekend. He then proceeded to offer me a Friday, then a Bank Holiday Monday. Again, both very inconvenient. He said a Weekend is not available, so managed to comprimise with a late 4 to 7 next Tuesday.

Still not convenient as I will need to juggle work a little, but it's the best I can get.

A bit of good news is that he is going to compensate a little off the bill - although to be honest, I don't really care about that. I just want it working.

I still would like to know the root cause though.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Super solver
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

You can reschedule appointments online:

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
0 Kudos