Menu
Lindy99
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

NEW CONNECTION TO OLD SERVICES

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help please.  My mother had virgin services in her house and due to circumstances we now find ourselves starting a new contract with virgin.  This in itself has been a nightmare but our new equipment was delivered yesterday (although it was supposed to be delivered on 17 May as we had a lot of recordings we wanted to watch before switching over)! Unfortunately due to our set up we cannot connect as per the instructions.  The white virgin cable box is in a cupboard in the sitting room - from that you have a splitter which sends one cable upstairs to a V6 box and the other cable into the back sitting room where there is another splitter before it goes into the back of the hub.  One cable for this goes down the garden to the cabin where the Tivo box was situated. We had absolutely no problems with the previous set up but now we have been forced to have 360 which we didn't want, it seems impossible to set up our system.  My son has a router which he had his cable plugged into as he couldn't get the wifi signal at the end of the garden but I presume the 360 and mini need to be on the same wifi?  Any suggestions would be gratefully received.  Thank you

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: NEW CONNECTION TO OLD SERVICES

All TV boxes must be on the same WiFi network to operate. The TV guide, box updates & most of the OD/catch up content relies on this connection.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Lindy99
Tuning in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response. So this is because we are now on 360 with this awful mini box? Everything worked fine for us before and I wanted to have V6 boxes but they said I couldn't. I'm not sure how we will sort this problem out then as we need the setup we have had for the last few years and that includes the cabin's own wifi?
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

As you have a coaxial cable run into the cabin you can also surely run an Ethernet cable from the hub into there as well. I suggest connecting the Ethernet cable to a gigabit port network switch into which you plug the mini box and any other devices such as a wireless access point if you need WiFi. Note that the router can be repurposed as a WAP.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I don’t understand. You wanted the same configuration as you previously had with V6.

The connection requirements of TV 360 are EXACTLY the same as V6 so what actually is your issue?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Ernie, my reading of the OP's problem is that the TiVo in the cabin has been replaced with a mini box, hence my recommendation of using an Ethernet cable instead of WiFi (which is failing).

--
0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

He did refer to a TiVo: "...cabin where the Tivo box was situated".

--
0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Apologies @Roger_Gooner . Comment removed.

0 Kudos
Lindy99
Tuning in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your response; you are absolutely right, this is my problem. I’m sorry but this is all like a foreign language to me. What is a gigabit port network switch? It’s about 100 foot down the garden so would that be possible?

0 Kudos