Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

How do get an answer on Install delays.

Hi, I originally ordered Virgin package at the end of August after a spotter came and and told me my property could get service.

First install date was mid sept but there was an issue with the outside work to get the cable to the outside of my property. So the install was put back a few weeks. Same thing happened on the next install date. The outside work still hadn’t put a access point outside the house. So put back to Late October for the next date. Same problem. Calling virgin customer services doesn’t seem to give me the real story on what is happening. I told told by them the outside work was going to be done last monday but it never was. Right now I have 2 orders. One for broadband with a current date and that just keeps changing and another for 23th Nov. Been some spray outside marking where it will go. How can I get a real answer on what’s going on and when I’ll get connected? Dates just seem to drift?

install is in Rg40 south of Wokingham.

Many Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: How do get an answer on Install delays.

I'm not sure but make sure you get your £5 per day delay compensation, small fortune there

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Don't forget though that the compensation is only payable if the delay is caused by VM. If they are waiting on the local council for planning permission, for example, then it's out of VM's hands and the compensation won't be payable.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Anok67 thanks for posting.

I am really sorry you've had a delay in your installation.  I would like to investigate this further for you.  In order to do this I am going to send you a private message. Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee_R

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks to everyone that responded.

Just in case its useful info to anyone else on the forum. Lee from VM followed up for and found out that Virgin was refused by the council a permit for the works to install a cable box at the boundary of my house.

There is some major water mains replacement going on in my area and the council stopped all other work permits in the area.

As SE Water had finished works outside me I contacted them and my local councillor. Anyway SE Water agreed to collaborative working and I now have a cable box out side my house.

Not installed yet but I have an installation date of very early Jan.  Hopefully no other issues when installed.

Regards

David

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Install day today but sorry to say it’s still not in.  Pavement black box installed about a month ago and that had some blue string out of it. 

This morning noticed guys with cable reels outside.After a while noticed they left. Checked and there is more paint on the pavement pointing in the direction of the virgin street cab and the blue string is still sticking out. 

Now system shows 2 orders. One for 20th Jan (broadband) and the other for 23rd (broadband and tv).

Frustrating that Virgin don’t keep you in the loop with what the issue is. 

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Anok67,

Thanks for coming back to us. I am sorry to hear of this delay and want to assist further. I'll go ahead and send you a quick PM so I can assist further.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Just to close off this thread with where my install is in case it helps other people whose install is taking time.

About 2 weeks ago some construction team knocked the door and told me the tee point outside my house was installed pointing in the wrong direction from the Virgin cabinets. They dug the footpath and put it in correctly.

Monday this week I came home from work and a back cable has appeared in the garden run down a fence and through some concrete to terminate at my house.

Today an install engineer came as arranged and did the final install to the house with 2 TV Boxes and Hub. Everything went smooth and I now have M500 speed broadband (Speedtest shows 536Meg hard wired connected direct to router).

Originally ordered end of Aug 2019 so its taken almost 5 months. So if you have construction issues you may need to be patient. Issues with the council permission and mistakes in the construction work meaning it had to be redone were the delay causes.

Only suggestion I would have would be for Virgin to keep customers up to date with progress and what needs to be done. That side of things was lacking. Also don't cancel existing broadband provider until the install is done and working.

Regards

Anok67

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the update Anok67, it's really appreciated.

Our Sales Team should be advising customers to not disconnect their broadband before the install and it's especially the case if customers want to port their number to us as we can only port active lines. I'll get this fed back to the team so we can manage customer expectations better.

Thanks for being patient with us whilst we arranged to install your services and you know we're just a call or a  post away on this Forum if you need any assistance with your services.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I am going through something similar to Anok67. End of Aug 2019 VM knocked on the doors of our street asking if we would be interested in services few days later they were back with wayleave forms, few days after that they came back and signed up the people that wanted services, a few weeks later and now into November, more wayleave forms came through the door, signed and returned, few weeks after that (December now) the VM rep came back around asking to sign more wayleave forms (same one from Nov!). 

Finally have a date for the street works to be done which is start to mid Feb, so by the time it's all connected up to the network and then the home install bit is done, I am probably looking at March, so around 7 months for the whole process if the last bit goes smoothly (fingers crossed).

I have no issue with the fact it has taken 7 months, I understand the whole process takes time, that a spotter has to come out, the wayleave process has to be adhered to, a network capacity check and new network routing plan has to be drawn up correctly and then sent off to higher ups for costing which is then sent to another team for approval, lots of background stuff even before getting the 3rd party civvies (roadworks / construction team) involved which then have to do their thing. 

It is just lack of clarity on the situation, if I hadn't had a messages now and then from the original VM rep or a few select PM's on here with staff, I would be thinking that VM just didn't actually bother in the end and nothing came of the initial sales rep contact back in Aug, has been that quiet on the progress of the works. 

0 Kudos