I'm hoping some experts on here can shed some light on this.
My fibre was installed 31/10 and initially wasn't working at all. The pre-pull guy came back late on 02/11 to replace the fibre. After breaking a couple of new fibres, he eventually got one through. He explained that they were breaking after getting stuck in the termination box outside my property.
He left us with a nice stable connection of 220 mbps, which I was delighted with. Unfortunately, the following morning, I noticed that to smooth out the fibre path, he'd pulled the ducting out of the termination box to give him a bigger curve radius (see first photo attached).
Being dark when he left, he'd forgotten to tidy this up and I was worried that it was a trip hazard on the pavement, so I arranged for the pre-pull team to come back on 06/11.
The new guy simply twisted and coiled the exposed ducting to get it to fit into the termination box. It seemed to fit fairly neatly (see 2nd photo attached), so I assumed it would be okay.
The trouble is, since this last visit, my speed has been all over the place. Mostly it hovers around 120-140 mbps, occasionally it gets up to 200 mbps, and occasionally it drops to 10-15 mbps.
Clearly this needs to be fixed, I wonder if the community have had similar experiences and what had to be done to fix them?
I don't want to be fobbed-off next time they come, so I'm wondering:
is the fibre now likely damaged and needs to be replaced yet again?
could the conduit pathways into the termination box be out of line, hence all the breaks?
or is this more likely just a case of the pre-pull guys being too rough with the conduit?
I dont see a big issue with the Second image. The fiber appears to have less of a bend radius compared to your omnibox so i cant see this being an issue. The part in your Omnibox called a ONU has a light which is green if the light signal is 0dbm to -5dbm and changes to yellow or red if much lower. If what your experiencing is a bent fibre the light shouldnt be green.
I work for Virgin Media and my posts are my own opinions
Thanks, that's reassuring, but do you have any idea why (a) my connection has become so unstable since the ducting was forced back into the omnibox, and (b) why fibres were repeatedly breaking at this point as they were blown-through from my house?
I'm clearly going to have to call the pre-pull team back out, so just wondering what's likely going to be required to fix this.
Your tech turned up today and guess what... he was an 'inside' tech who quickly confirmed that the problem is outside!
This was especially disappointing as I'd gone to a great deal of trouble to explain the issue and provide evidence that the problem lies with the outside ducting, where it passes through the kerbside termination box.
Fearing the wrong sort of technician would turn up, I made a point of private messaging you to say "I believe it will require an outside Tech (a fiber tech) as that's where the issue is".
I'm now told that since your pre-pull/construction techs are busy cabling a new area in my locale, it could be up to 2 weeks until they can visit to address the issue. In the meantime, in the past 48 hours I've seen speed test results ranging from 0.16M - 15M - 108M - 23M - 71M - 20M - ... and a few complete disconnections today. To think that I switched to Virgin Media to get a more reliable fully-digital service!!!
Please do what you can Emma to expedite an outside tech to address this terrible installation once and for all. I suspect that to properly fix it, the kerbside termination box will need to be removed and refitted to provide a smoother path for a new fibre.
Our automated systems have identified a network issue over several days which is affecting multiple customers in your area. There is a high percentage of customers in the street whose power levels aren't quite right.
This is likely to cause connectivity and performance issues.
Our engineering teams have been automatically notified of the issue and will will need to send a network technician to the cabinet to fix the issue. We will fix the issue as soon as possible.
That's great Alex. It might explain why I'm now getting an average of 150M instead of 200M.
However, please note that this will NOT solve my main issue, which is that my fibre is being pinched or otherwise affected by the bending of the conduit when it's forced into the kerbside termination box. This is a separate issue.
The tech who visited last week helped me to temporarily improve things by pulling the conduit loop back out of the termination box (see photo in my earlier post) but clearly it can't be left like this.
Someone needs to fix whatever is wrong with the conduit, which I assume will mean cutting and replacing the fibre.