cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DC power for FTTP connection

nodmod
Tuning in

Hello

I need to connect the power for the FTTP connection for the COEX lead to a DC 12v supply, currently, I have this connected to a standard UK 3-pin plug.

The reason for wanting to do this is that I want to connect all of my wifi appliances to a UPS to keep the WiFi on should I experience a power outage. The main VM Hub and other wiring devices are now connected to a DC 12v supply, but I cannot get the FTTP connected to a DC 12v supply, so when a power outage occurs I lose the internet as the FTTP connection is offline, WiFI remains on as the VM Hub is functioning via the UPS.

Can anyone suggest how I can get an DC power adapter for the FTTP connection?

Thanks

20220211_162905.jpgIMG_2088.jpgIMG_2089.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

It would be interesting to know how long it lasts under real load conditions. The Amazon reviews about it are mixed in regards to capacity. Also check out the electrical current requirements of your equipment and make sure your power backup device is capable of supplying the load (esp. if you are leaving it on for an extended period of time during day/night). The Amazon images show the 12V outputs as only being 1A capacity supplies. Good luck with getting it all working.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

32 REPLIES 32

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Bit confusing as to what you are trying to achieve here and what you are asking.

The second photo (if that is the power supply in question) shows (what looks like) a 6.5V output.

Are you asking for some device to convert a 12V dc input to a 6.5V dc output?

Basically trying to change the power connection from a 3-pin plug to a direct DC connection so I can plug this into my UPS as per the image below

IMG_2091.jpg

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Does your local Virgin infrastructure have backup power? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@nodmod wrote:

Basically trying to change the power connection from a 3-pin plug to a direct DC connection so I can plug this into my UPS as per the image below

Without getting too much further into this ...

Your image at #5 shows a barrel plug. If this is what you want to plug into your backup supply at 12V, how are you planning to convert the 12V DC down to 6.5V(?) DC for the equipment shown at #1?

And jpeg1's question at #4 is also important as to whether your efforts will be rewarded with any external connection beyond your home in the event of a power failure.

I have the VM Hub, Orbi Wifi Router and Network Hub plugged into a DC powered UPS via 12v and the barrel connector, the FTTP connection is my only issue as I cannot plug this into the DC power UPS via a barrel connector.

On the UPS, I have a spare 12v socket, a 9v socket and two USB 5V/2A

If I can get the FTTP into a barrel connector, could I use the 9v socket, or would this fry the FTTP?

Currently my mains supply is a little up and down (could be multiple reasons) and I am trying to keep WiFi and wired internet online where possible as working from home means I need a constant connection.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@nodmod wrote:

I have the VM Hub, Orbi Wifi Router and Network Hub plugged into a DC powered UPS via 12v and the barrel connector, the FTTP connection is my only issue as I cannot plug this into the DC power UPS via a barrel connector.

If I can get the FTTP into a barrel connector, could I use the 9v socket, or would this fry the FTTP?

Currently my mains supply is a little up and down (could be multiple reasons) and I am trying to keep WiFi and wired internet online where possible as working from home means I need a constant connection.

Well, I would guess you are unlikely to find an off-the-shelf device with a barrel plug on one end, DC in and DC out at the required voltages and an F-connector on the output. I would imagine you will have to custom-make something. A 'buck converter' might take you a step further forward. But, ...

By swapping out a manufacturer's own power supplies for one of your own, you risk damaging their equipment if incorrectly specified. You'd be taking on the risk of trashing your kit, or finding it doesn't work reliably, and probably invalidating any warranties on your equipment and VM's so can't say I'd recommend your approach at all.

However, as pointed out by jpeg1 at #4, you can UPS the equipment in your home as much as you like. If the VM equipment in the street has no backup power then you will be limited to access only to your own network in the event of a power cut.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@nodmod wrote:

<snip>

<snip>

Are you actually talking about a proper UPS device or some kind of home/travel 'powerbank' type of thing?

All the UPS kit I have ever used has had outputs at 240V, and on mains power connectors, to run the kit for a short time if the power goes off.

The UPS is a mini UPS Uninterrupted Power Supply 27000mAh 98Wh Lithium ion Backup Battery with DC 12V/9V/5V Output for Wireless Router, Modem, LED Light, CCTV Camera, Smartphone etc, link below

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08FBB4Q8V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All three networking items that are plugged in require 12v and are now using 12v

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Interesting device. Comments and observations above still stand.

Have you given it a real-world trial and switched off the power to put it into a 'blackout' mode to test how long it lasts with all your kit attached? How long can it run all the plugged-in devices for on battery power?