Menu
weeknd
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Advice about broadband installation

Hi, I'm already a Virgin Media customer - I already have Tivo and phone line with them. How easy would it be to have broadband with VM? Do I need an Engineer appointment and where in the house do they need access to?

Thanks for reading.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Advice about broadband installation

Very easy and you will probably get a good deal on installation.
They will run a second connection to wherever you want the Hub locating (this requires some thought before going ahead) and the engineer will balance it all up for you. They need access to your outside wall box and to the room where you want the Hub installing. May be issues if you are in the middle of a terrace and want something at the back, or if you want to go into attics.
With VM BB you can also ditch the awful Tivo and get the far better V6 box.
Post up more specific details of what you would ideally have.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The cable to your TiVo must be split, one leg going to the TiVo and the other to the hub. If you want or need a manned installation I think it costs £40.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Laura296
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I have signed up to have my phone and broadband with virgin, could someone explain if the engineer will connect all of the current sockets to the virgin one so they all still work? I would like my router upstairs away from where I assume the main socket will be ?

also customer service couldn’t say if the engineer will need to drill through an outside wall to set up or not?

thanks 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

VM will only install a master socket. You'll have to arrange for extensions to be connected

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Laura296
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

thanks for the reply
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax wrote:
VM will only install a master socket. You'll have to arrange for extensions to be connected

not sure thats strictly correct - i believe they will connect existing extension sockets to a new master socket - @jb66 should know if he sees this

Tony
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Assuming there is a master socket !!!

AFAIK all new telco connections are VoIP so the phone will connect to the Hub 3 not a master socket.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Laura296 wrote:

I have signed up to have my phone and broadband with virgin, could someone explain if the engineer will connect all of the current sockets to the virgin one so they all still work? I would like my router upstairs away from where I assume the main socket will be ?

also customer service couldn’t say if the engineer will need to drill through an outside wall to set up or not?

thanks 

Laura

My apologies if you already know all of this but just in case, the internet connection from VM has absolutely nothing to do with any existing on new telephone lines. Unless a previous occupant had a VM service in the past, in which case the cables should already be in place, then they will need a drill a hole through the outside wall to bring the cable in from the little box on the outside of your house to where the router is going to be  - which sounds like it is going to be upstairs. As long as it's just the first floor and no higher that should be OK.

I also believe, as stated above, that in the vast majority of cases, the VM telephony is delivered over VOIP via the same cable, so your telephone plugs into the back of the router as well - there's no 'master socket' as such, also VM won't touch the BT master socket.

0 Kudos
Laura296
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

thanks for you help, very useful - laura
0 Kudos