Menu
mitch661
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

vm engineers

hi all would a VM tech/ engineer ever connect VM external cable to old rg6 existing coax in customer premises to save running new VM coax internally.

the reason I ask is VM engineer has done that to my property so as far as I am concerned I don't have fb vivid 100 to point and could it explain poor bb

thanks any input

chris

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: vm engineers

If the signal is strong enough to split then yes, this is normally done if issue with cabling for the split. 

This could require construction team to run new cable,  ask the people who got the new install if any date planned, not sure if forum staff will supply this date. 

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
mitch661
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

soz doesn't make sense .I am saying engineer on install connected VM coax external to rg6 existing internal(spare freeview coax) to save running VM cable in flat. so VM coax to front door then did joint to connect existing rg6 so he had no internal cable run.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Wise owl
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

He should never use coax for Freeview. Report this and your poor broadband.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
mitch661
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

thanks roger I am trying no one VM listening, I am x BT tech. VM engineer said all flats in my stair connect internally to old spare free view coax and it fine.

bb intermittent WiFi etc crap 

when I complain VM say all testing fine. is there anyone who checks installed quality apart from another local engineer who came and changed 6db attenuator at router while commenting attenuator should be cabinet. he said all ok but it not. 

customer services no help saying all fineSmiley Sad  they not getting that old free view coax used internaly to save time for engineer running VM cable

thanks for reply

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Wise owl
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like another VM technician who couldn't be bothered to switch your cable onto another tap in the cabinet.

Can you do a check on speed using a wired connection to the hub. Use speedtest.net.

--
0 Kudos
mitch661
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

done that speeds good at 108 but eventually all drops ,all different times . just all unreliable for a period of time. most drops only for second or two that's why all tests ok. 

that's why VM expecting me spend most days resetting hub ,who would want to do that constantly.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Wise owl
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Can you post some stats. Go to 192.168.0.1 (router mode) or 192.168.100.1 (modem mode), do not log in, click on the link "Check Router Status".
Copy and paste the Downstream, Upstream and Network Logs. Mask any public IP or MAC addresses.

--
0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

Sounds like another VM technician who couldn't be bothered to switch your cable onto another tap in the cabinet.

Can you do a check on speed using a wired connection to the hub. Use speedtest.net.

What are you on about?

The customer only has one internal wire from entry point to living room, nothing to do with tap ports!!

As long as the RG6 is triple shielded it can be used as a Virgin Broadband Coax

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roger_Gooner
Wise owl
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I suggest that you do some research on the basics of a cable network so that you can understand my post.

--