Menu
BME
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

WiFi issues after recent upgrade

I recently upgraded from 100mb to 200mb broadband on 9th February. This upgrade also included Mix TV, which I didn't have before. The Vevo box was sent to me for home install, so the cable for broadband now goes through a splitter for internet and TV as per the instructions. I still have the same Hub 3 as previously.

Ever since this upgrade, internet performance has been incredibly patchy, and for the most part noticeable slower than my previous 100mb.

I have been doing speed tests over the last week and there have been a couple of times where it has achieved 200mb, but most of the time it is no faster than approximately 40mb.

At times mine and my partner's smartphone will suddenly lose connection to the network, saying either "Connected - no internet" or stuck on "Obtaining IP address". Sometimes turning WiFi off and back on again on our smartphones fixes this, but it doesn't seem to be a consistent fix.

We have also had instances where some of our Amazon Echo devices have lost connection altogether.

Devices that are connected to the hub via ethernet cable appear to have a solid connection, although we have had some buffering in the likes of Netflix and Disney+ through this method, suggesting speed is still slow.

I have checked the cable connections and they are fine, and service status is fine according to the Virgin Media app and website. I've also ran a test on the kit a few times and I'm told that things are ok and there are no network issues.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi issues after recent upgrade

What are your wired speeds and connectivity like?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
BME
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I've just ran a test on a PS4 that has wired connection and it achieved 153.3 Mbps, and connectivity seems to be ok.

I phoned customer service yesterday morning just after 9am and their automated service restarted my kit. This seemed to be ok for just over 24 hours, all smartphones stayed connected and speeds were good, but in the last 30 minutes my smartphone has gone back to "Obtaining IP address", and a laptop dropped connection a few times.
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

A console isn't an accurate way to speedtest.

Do a 60 second pinhole reset on the hub and set it up again then see how it behaves

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
BME
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately other than a PS4, the only other wired device I can test the speed on is an Android Box (achieved 94 Mbps this morning). The other wired devices plugged in are a Virgin Media Tevo TV box and Philips Hue hub.

I did a 60 second pinhole reset on the hub yesterday afternoon as suggested. Things worked ok after that, but this morning, after being connected solidly since the pinhole reset, my smartphone dropped off the WiFi and went back to "Obtaining IP address" again.

I shouldn't have to reset my router every day in order for things to work properly, so something definitely isn't right.
0 Kudos