Menu
Anglian1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

WiFi dropping out

Hi folks. 

I get constant Wi-Fi problems. 2G doesn’t work most of the time and so I can’t connect with older devices. 5G is intermittent. I’ve done all the recommended checks, and made frequent calls to the call centre. 

I have found the call centre truly appalling  and I’m deeply shocked at how such good company as virgin employs these people. Some of them are quite difficult to understand, and nearly all of them keep interrupting me before I finished explaining the problem. None of them inspire confidence and none of their suggestions have worked. The last person I spoke to said an engineer would need to come out and put me through to the correct department. They told me an engineer didn’t need to come out and tried to put me through to the first person I spoke to for a fee. 

I am at my wits end! Is there a department based on the UK who I could call?

This is so dire I’m thinking of contacting Richard Branson to complain. 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: WiFi dropping out

you can contact RB but i dont think he will be that interested - he leases the Virgin name to Liberty Global - more than that he has no input and no interest

as to your problem - have you tested wired - you need to know if the problem is just wifi or an input problem - so run a wired test for a while and see if that is stable

Tony
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Also - which Hub are you using and what devices are you trying ?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
kneg58
Joining in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

We have LG smart TV but only use  Irving for broadband and phone. We just have freeview. We all have iPhone 6s’s 3 in total. Have never had a problem before!! E-on came out last week to fit smart meters and turned everything off....maybe just a councidence!! 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

What hub do you have - is it a Hub2 by any chance and are your iPhones on iOS11.4.1 ?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Anglian1
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi. I’ve got a security camera that only works on 2G. An iPad, two iPhones, a galaxy tab 2, two other galaxy tablets (the model numbers escape me for the moment) and a Sony Xperia XZ premium. I switched the TV to Ethernet in case that was affecting the WiFi  

Needless to say I don’t have them all on at once!

0 Kudos
Anglian1
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Oh, it’s an S2 hub. 

0 Kudos
Anglian1
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi. I’ve checked the cables. Is there a specific test to run that tests the cabling?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The iDevice problems are certainly this...

The problem is Apple's 11.4.1 not working properly on a Hub2 (and other models across the world) They are working on a fix. Indeed, it is fixed in iOS12beta - currently available for the brave.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/IPhone-iOS-11-4-1/td-p/3771082

You have 3 options.  (1) Wait for Apple to fix it in iOS12 (wont be too long – Sep?). (2) Connect your own wifi router to the Hub2 (clearly the best option!). (3) Lobby VM to supply you with a new Hub3 (they have given these out for free to those who argue their case and cite this forum discussion).

--------------------
0 Kudos
Anglian1
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. In fact, I seem to have mostctrouble with my android devices, but Apple are definitely affected too. I’ll gird up my loins to get on to Virgin again tomorrow. I find it infuriating dealing with these kind of call centres, do a stiff drink will be in order tomorrow!

0 Kudos