Menu
sj22
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

WIFI light flashing green and slow weak signal

Since the local SE london outage the last week (that acknowledged on  the Service Status here) I have had very slow WIFI and the signal is very week, usually it reaches all the devices in my house. No I can only get it on my desktop but its very slow . The Green Wifi Light (the cone shaped one) is constantly flashing. I have rebooted via the power switch at the rear  several times over the last days. But its still flashes. Also tried pressing the Pair WPS switch - no change . Tried running the check on here and it says my equipment is working. Obviously when the wifi is down, or intermittent, I can't run the test !      Any suggestions please? 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: WIFI light flashing green and slow weak signal

Hi sj22,

Thanks for posting, I am sorry to hear of the WiFi issues. I fully understand the inconvenience this would cause. I can see we are sending you a replacement router.

Please do let me know how this new router is and if you need any further assistance. Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
sj22
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi , thank you John. The 2 boxes have just arrived and I will unpack and install them at the weekend. Thank you to the final person called Abrar in the Indian call centre, who finally identified there was a fault with "the up and down" connections (or whatever you call them), which were showing red. Before that I'd gone through all the reset procedures with the staff and they were sure there was no problem.

I will report back one the new hub is installed 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi sj22,

Thank you for keeping us informed on the current standings. We will make sure this positive feedback is passed on and please do keep us posted on any further development/proceedings.

Many thanks,

Louis

0 Kudos
sj22
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Dear John, 

Virgin sent out a new router. I've set it up and its still flashing green the same as the old one. Some one called Mithcuz from India is on the phone to me now (53minutes and counting!) and he's run the speed tests , I also have done speed tests online, and he is adamant there is nothing wrong . Even though my iPhones won't connect again unless they are right beside the hub. The only thing that will connect is my desk top Mac,  which connects but the WIFI is so slow compared to how it was a couple of weeks ago. He says its normal for the Hub to be in a state of constant green flashing - it could be a permanent Firmwire update and will last forever? All I know is this Hub was working perfectly fine before the green line started flashing a couple of weeks ago. The green light started flashing after  there was a local outage here that was acknowledged on your Service Status here, might be a coincidence . I don't know if its relevant but he said the coaxial cable should be  white - ours is black . I'm really sick of everyone telling me the green light permanently  flashing is normal, even the brochure says just the white light should be on.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi sj22.

Thanks for coming back to me. I am sorry for the service faults. Having ran a check we do need to send a tech out as your downstream power levels need fixing. I'll send you a quick PM to arrange this now. 

Kind regards

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
sj22
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Dear John,

just to report back - engineer came today (later than the allotted slot but that didn't matter), at first he was adamant that there wasn't a problem, and we ran speed tests on my computer. He kept telling me that the green light flashing was normal.  Then (thankfully ) he did spot a fault and he said the 'modem was not working at all' well, that it was "choking" and the signal was outside the parameters ... running at 17 or something which would explain my glitchy wifi. So he adjusted this and stuck something in the back of the hub with 10db written on it.

I'd been sent 2 new routers for some reason ,  so I returned one with him, as well as my old white Hub. 

I haven't had time to test the wifi yet but hopefully its now working smoother. 

We've just had new neighbours move in and I wonder if they have connected devices that have influenced our wifi too.

Many thanks 

0 Kudos
sj22
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

sorry to report that the WIFI doesn't seem to have improved since the engineer's visit. It is still dropping in and out an is slow at times. We have had heavy rain here today and that was when it is worst - can this possibly affect it? 

What next? 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi sj22, 

Sorry to hear you've been experiencing a few issues still.

I've checked things today, and everything appears within spec. 

How are things since yesterday? Can you reboot the hub and let me know when you've done this so I can re-check everything.

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
sj22
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

the wifi was still slow and weak after the engineer left, until I tried your suggestion to reboot a few days later! 

Seems to be more or less back to normal now. Green light flashing though. 

All going well today until some emails I sent didn't go through today (tested some to myself) ...or got received a couple of hours late. Got the "could not connect to server" message at this time in MacMail. Tried the Virgin Webmail and same missing and delayed emails on there. Haven't had this problem in months, . I see other people are posting about it now... forwarding from 123 addresses being very delayed or missing ... so I wonder if its that?  I suppose its a new topic. 

0 Kudos