Highlighted
Shawbinachy
Tuning in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

SuperHub 3.0 wifi dropping out and poor range

Hi folks.

Looking for a bit of help from some of you guys in the know ๐Ÿ˜

I've had Vivid 200 for a few months and everything was working great. Then I upgraded my package to the full house bundle. Since then my broadband has been dropping out and the range is definitely poorer than before.

Here are some screenshots of the Upstream and Downstream.

Thanks in advance ๐Ÿ˜Screenshot_20190604-212400.png

Screenshot_20190604-212406.png

0 Kudos
Shawbinachy
Tuning in
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: SuperHub 3.0 wifi dropping out and poor range

Ooooops Forgot the Upstream pics...Screenshot_20190604-212438.png

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi Shawbinachy,

Welcome to our forums and thank you for posting. I'm sorry that you've been experiencing issues using your wifi since your upgrade.

I've had a look at the backend of your services and everything entering your property is reporting as expected. However, it does look like there may be a few devices causing interference with the wireless signal by being too close to the hub. It may seem really basic, but wifi can be affected by many factors within your home. I'd recommend taking a look at our WiFi Wins for a bit more explanation and some tips.

Is there also anything which is currently connected wirelessly which you could swap to ethernet to reduce the need for requests to queue, potentially causing timeouts?

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos
Shawbinachy
Tuning in
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for looking into that.

I never had a problem previously with my WiFi or internet in general until we added TV to our bundle. It took the engineer over 3 hours to get everything up and running and had trouble with low power getting to our property. He mentioned that the "taps" as he called it outside looked worn and were letting water in. And our internet definitely gets worse when it's raining heavy.

To get everything working he was very honest and mentioned that he just switched the tap that we were connected to outside to someone else's. So another customer is probably having worse issues than us.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi Shawbinachy,

You're more than welcome Smiley Happy In that case, it does sound like there may be an issue on the line somewhere, which has been worsened by the addition of more services into your home. However, I'd like to see if we can rule out a few things first, just to see if we can narrow this down a little and avoid any unnecessary delay.

A wireless connection isn't always a true reflection of the service being received by the hub. Are you able to run a check on speedtest.net via an ethernet cable so we can see what speeds are coming into the property?

Could you also confirm if all devices lose connection at once, or whether each connection is individually intermittent?

Finally, do the lights on your hub change at all when you do lose connection?

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos
Shawbinachy
Tuning in
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Generally speaking the speeds that we receive are what we should be getting 200mbps down 12mbps up. Ping 9, jitter 2ms through Ethernet 

But when the issues start the speeds drop down to around 80mbps down and the jitter on the speed test jumps up to around 60ms. Also each device that is connected will show a connection i.e WiFi icon on a smart phone, but won't be able to open a web page, stream a movie etc. Or the connection to the hub will just drop completely.

Unfortunately or fortunately depending how you look at it, everything is working as it should at the time of writing this typical haha. 

There are no lights that come on the hub when the connection is lost. 

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Shawbinachy
Tuning in
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Ah speak of the devil haha just had a dropped connection when doing the speed test. 

Wasn't able to get an ethernet reading unfortunately.

Also noticed alot of error messages in the superhub network log. Such as...

No ranging response received T3 timout, DHCP failed, sync timing synchronisation, received response to broadcast maintenance request but no unicast maintenance opportunities received.

Some pics from speed test during WiFi drop and low speeds standing in close viewing distance of router...Screenshot_20190607-191809.png

Screenshot_20190607-191902.png

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your responses Shawbinachy,

I'm happy to take a closer look at this for you.

I'll drop you a PM which will be available via the purple envelope in the top right hand corner of your screen

David_Bn

0 Kudos
Shawbinachy
Tuning in
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi folks. Quick update on the WiFi issues.

Had an engineer visit to try and fix our slow WiFi and drop outs. He came and set is up with a Virgin media booster kit. He tested everything and we were getting good speeds with no drop outs and it seemed like it was a job well done.

Two days after the visit WiFi is dropping again and even the boosters are acting up, with me having to set them up from scratch every day. 

Hope this gets fixed soon or someone out there has any ideas because I'm seriously thinking of chucking virgin media completely.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Why send booster VM Why!? Why not just give out routers and put the hub into modem mode.