Menu
Mrgentry
Tuning in
Message 21 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Re: Super Hub 3 Modem Mode

Yes my WiFi was poor and I used the WAC104 as an extender (AP) but the engineer recommended that I go to Modem mode with the SH3 and use the WAC104 for wireless and LAN. The WAC104 is an Acces Point only   

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-WAC104-100UKS-WAC104-Business-Wireless/dp/B01LWUJU8H

So now I will run the  WAC104 from port 1  from the SH3 and then a secondary WAC104 to be placed downstairs from any port on the upstairs WAC104 (this being the one connected to the SH3.  

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 22 of 31
Flag for a moderator

@Mrgentry wrote:

Was this ever resolved. I have the exact same problem using netgear WAC104 access point. Worked fine with Wi-Fi on but the above issue in modem mode with the base light turned purple and no network. Dhcp is disabled on AP and I've read the only 1 port can be used on the hub3 when in modem mode. 

This is why I say get a wireless router because people think access point works in modem mode It don't or at least only for one device as their no NAT to make one IP to many so your going to need to get a wireless router for modem mode now.

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 23 of 31
Flag for a moderator

@Mrgentry wrote:

Yes my WiFi was poor and I used the WAC104 as an extender (AP) but the engineer recommended that I go to Modem mode with the SH3 and use the WAC104 for wireless and LAN. The WAC104 is an Acces Point only   

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-WAC104-100UKS-WAC104-Business-Wireless/dp/B01LWUJU8H

So now I will run the  WAC104 from port 1  from the SH3 and then a secondary WAC104 to be placed downstairs from any port on the upstairs WAC104 (this being the one connected to the SH3.  

According to the Netgear spec, the WAC104 has 4 LAN sockets, one of which you would connect to the Hub 3 in modem mode having configured that socket for WAN. 

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Mrgentry
Tuning in
Message 24 of 31
Flag for a moderator

I'm a bit confused hence the questions :-)

so in whatever configuration the Access Point will only allow 1 connection with the super hub in Modem mode?
or
do I set one super hub socket to WAN mode to allow for multiple connections
or
do I need to keep the super hub in wifi mode and then add the access points (1+2 AP upstairs/downstairs)

my understanding is that the access point extends the signal I assume that as the superhub would be in modem mode there would be no signal to extend.
0 Kudos
Mrgentry
Tuning in
Message 25 of 31
Flag for a moderator

I thought it was like this

1. Re set all devices to factory settings
  2. Enable DHCP on WAC104 (if not factory setting)
  3. Switch all devices off
  4. Plug the WAC104 into port 1 of SH3
  5. Start both devices
  6. Put SH3 into modem mode
  7. Reboot (this is automatic)
  8. Follow instructions for WAC104 or is this automatic in this mode
  9. Plug second WAC104 into first WAC104 (should this be LAN or WAN)
  10. Follow instructions, should second WAV104 have DHCP enabled or disabled?
0 Kudos
Mrgentry
Tuning in
Message 26 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Or just keep the super hub in Wi-Fi mode and ignore those and only connect to access point networks

Or run a router off of the super hub and then add access points (seems pointless)

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 27 of 31
Flag for a moderator

So many questions!  For modem mode, your sequencing will work except no need to factory rest anything. Just set the first router for WAN and DHCP on.  The second router must then be in bridge mode with DHCP off, LAN connected  

if you stay in Hub 3 router mode, bothe routers must be set to bridge mode (DHCP off may make that explicit.

Mrgentry
Tuning in
Message 28 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Ok

Will do but just to clarify these are access points and not routers

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 29 of 31
Flag for a moderator

@Mrgentry wrote:

Ok

Will do but just to clarify these are access points and not routers

OK - just saw the caveat in the user manual.  That is a pity because you cannot use modem mode with this device.  You'll have to daisy-chain the two WAC104s by Ethernet, the first router being connected to a Hub 3 LAN socket - Hub 3 in router mode.

IMPORTANT:

The access point provides WiFi and LAN connectivity but is a bridge and not a router. Therefore, do not connect the access point directly to your DSL or cable modem.You must connect the access point to a router or, if your network includes a DHCP server, to a switch or hub that is connected to the DHCP server. (For more information, see Set Up and Connect the Access Point to Your Router or DHCP Server on page 11.)

0 Kudos
Mrgentry
Tuning in
Message 30 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Ok, I have a spare router a tp link. So could use this but would this be pointless as it would be the same as using the hub 3. TP-link is 300Mbps if I use this as LAN only and then the Access Points for Wi-Fi. The reason for all this is the hub is poor

0 Kudos