Menu
Toxic5
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Set up using two entry points on same WiFi network

Hello,all, recently moved to new home, which is +200 years old, ie; thick walls! Previous owner already had VM. I, as a previous customer (+20 years) of VM, was happy to retain VM for Broadband and so far the hub 4 is very good. The house has two incoming points with the same WiFi network name on from previous install, I just have one hub 4 connected to one incoming point, but also have a newish Technicolour router that I want to connect to second incomer and set as a slave to the hub 4, if that right wording. I have done this in previous house so have some idea what to do. (There is no WiFi signal at opposite end of house to the hub 4, which is why I want the second router). My question is; the Technicolour only has Ethernet ports and the VM incoming point has a screw in (satellite style) connection only. How can I connect the two together please, I guess I need a converter but what and where from? Tks in advance, regards Jon.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Set up using two entry points on same WiFi network

You can connect in the way you describe, but not with the coax.  That second point would be for a TV box, or for the position of a hub that then got moved.

To do what you want you'll need to run an ethernet Cat 6 (or Cat 7) cable from the Hub 4 to the place where you want the second router.  You might be able to use any wall holes for the coax to run that, but bear in mind pre-terminated ethernet cables will need a 15mm hole, which is probably a lot larger than any existing holes for coax.  And the Technicolor router MUST be configured in access point mode, or it'll cause all manner of problems.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If your Ireland this forum can help you.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

To add to what Andrew said, you can run bare ethernet cable with no connectors so it it will pass through small holes and then fit the terminators yourself. Kits with all you need to do this are on eBay for ~£15 - its not that difficult.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Toxic5
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Tks reply Andrew, another Q as this is still puzzling me. Both incoming points (ICP) only have screw in coax connections. It may be coincidence but when I plugged the hub 4 into the back of house ICP, I get working WiFi. So my theory is if I were to move the hub 4 to front of house ICP, I would still get working WiFi. If that be the case, why can’t I utilise both ICPs as they are and connect each to a modem/router? I am not a networking engineer and I am open to any comments about my lack of knowledge, so long as they are polite, 😁. Tks, Jon.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If the second coax point is still live then - yes - you can move the Hub to there. Just try it and see if it works - you can always move it back if it doesnt.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Moving the hub to the other coax socket may well work, indeed probably will if the wiring hasn't been messed with.  But a standalone router can't use those, because the hub is a combined cable modem and wireless router.  Your Technicolor router won't have either the connection for or internal processing to decode the radio frequency signals that the coax carries.  And the next question "can I buy another hub and use that?" can be answered with a simple "no".  VM won't activate any hub that's been out of their hands (eg purchased online), and they won't supply two hubs on one account either.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It occurs to me that Technicolor do offer DOCSIS hubs, and if you're not a VM UK customer you may be referring to one of those.  If you're with VM Ireland then rules may differ, and they might support two cable modems on the same line, but that's not anything I can comment on.  For VM in the UK, they won't support multiple hubs on the same account, they won't activate third party hubs at all, and they won't activate their own equipment that's (for example) been swapped between customers or traded on eBay.

But if it were a Technicolor DOCSIS hub, it would have a coax socket on the back.

0 Kudos
Toxic5
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Andrew, tks for taking time to explain, it now makes perfect sense and I am no longer puzzled! I have all kit except cable, for making my own RJ45 cables, so as time allows I will look for the best cable route (hopefully internally) to make the Technicolor into an access point from the hub 4. Tks again, to you and John, regards JB 

g0akc
Well-informed
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

For what it’s worth there are ‘Ethernet to Coax’ adapters on the market if running CAT5/6 cable isn’t practical.

Ethernet, started off by Xerox in the ‘70s I recall, in offices etc. was run over coax back in the day - before moves to cheaper telephone type cable - CAT3 etc.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos