Menu
edchivers
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Service outage Sheffield S6

I have been seeing a lot of service outages (one or two a month) this year in the S6 postcode. This morning we lost all three services (phone, internet, TV).

Judging purely by the WiFi names I can see from our house there a lot of Virgin customers on our street, and as our area does not have Openreach fibre installed Virgin will be the only fibre internet provider available.

Do Virgin have an explanation for the connection issues we've been seeing in our area this year? As the only provider, is there a capacity issue? Are there any plans to improve the service or improve capacity and stability?Screenshot_20180926-083608.png

0 Kudos
edchivers
Joining in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Service outage Sheffield S6

For info, we have had lost connectivity on...

26th September (today)

15th August

26th July - August 2nd

23rd July

6th July

6th May

19th April.

I've engaged with Virgin either via twitter or over the phone on all of these occasions, I'd hoped things would get better but they don't seem to be. I don't know if an engineer visit would help because I think the problem is with the network infrastructure in our area and not the equipment in our house.

0 Kudos
edchivers
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Update - 

Last night, 1st October, at 11pm our WiFi disappeared. Literally just dropped off the face of the earth. Tried to connect to the hub via an ethernet cable and couldn't get a connection. The hub was unresponsive, all lights burning solid blue, none of the usual flickering indicating traffic or connections to Virgin's network. Unplugged and then restarted the hub, got solid blue lights immediately, not the usual power up/connection sequence. Tried this several times, only managed to get the hub to start up after leaving it unplugged for about 10 minutes at which point the hub booted up correctly and our WiFi networks came back up.

This has happened before and I'm now wondering if we have a hardware failure. Phoned customer services this morning and was told that there was an intermittent fault in my area - but this doesn't explain why my hub wouldn't even try to start up. Asked for an engineer appointment but was told that one couldn't be booked due to the fault.

Any updates, Virgin?

0 Kudos
edchivers
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I spoke to the faults team at lunchtime and they were more helpful than the people I spoke to this morning, but unfortunately due to...

a) there being a current signal/noise ratio fault in our area, and 

b) our hub behaving itself at the time I spoke to them

...there was nothing more they could do. I also reached out to the Virgin media Twitter account - see conversation at https://twitter.com/ed_chivers/status/1047025784072880128?s=19

I have been advised to monitor the situation and call back if I have further issues once the current wider area fault is remedied. I still don't know why my hub completely locked up last night, but that's the second time it's done it which is why I wonder if there might be a hub hardware problem contributing to my issues as well.

0 Kudos