Menu
surreydude
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Service Status says "OK" but can't access hub

Just been on hold to customer service for over 30 minutes before being cut off...

I have been having trouble connecting to my hub for part of today. Service was OK this morning but now I can't connect to my hub or resolve the IP address.

- Ran service status wizard and it reports that my hub is not experiencing problems

- Try to connect to my public IP address remotely but it responds with connection refused

- No services available via the public IP address

- Cannot connect using the Virgin Media public address (***.cable.virginm.net)

I suspect that there is either an outage or my IP address has changed. Can someone from VM please respond to this so it can be resolved?

Thanks

PS I am remote - not in the property, hence trying to connect using remote management

0 Kudos
surreydude
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Service Status says "OK" but can't access hub

There used to be a link for send a restart request - can anyone point me to it? The service status check page no longer offers the "Restart my hub" option on successful test outcome...

0 Kudos
surreydude
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Apparently it rebooted and is currently allocated a 10.x.x.x IP address. The customer support says that everything is OK so they can't progress a problem but I if I am right, that IP cannot be a public IP address, hence, I still can't access the hub remotely.

Can anyone suggest what state the hub might be in? If it's got a 10.x.x.x IP is this trying to acquire a WAN IP and failing?

I asked if they can look at the log to see what it's doing but was told that isn't something they can do...

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

There is definitely a problem with your connection. I presume you are a residential customer? The 10.x.x.x range are not Internet addresses, they are only form intranet (local) addresses. It’s probably an address on the internal VM network because the CMTS is not connecting you to the Internet. You need to get onto customer services again and explain you have no internet access, the call takers can be rather “McDonalds milkshake” (thick) when you start talking about IP addresses. Their scripts just don’t cover that.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
surreydude
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah have already tried to explain that the 10.x.x.x is not used for public WAN addresses and all I got was: "It's not showing as faulty so I can't refer it to a technical person because there is no fault". As you say, the script doesn't accommodate my issue.

I'll call again shortly but being on hold in Europe for over 45 minutes is not good value.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @surreydude

Cheers so much for popping along to our Community Forums - sorry that you seem to be having some issues with your internet connection. 

I'm afraid that we do not support remote hub access and as such would be unable to assist you with this particular query. 

However, from looking at the back end of your account, all your services seem to be in spec and your Hub are connecting to our network with no problem and no issues are showing whatsoever. 

I appreciate that you may be concerned about your IP address but everything is looking fine from this end. All of our residential hubs will have a private LAN of 192.168.0.1

If you have been given an IP address that is not this, then this will be your public WAN.

What makes you think you are having issues within the property and may we ask why you are trying to access your Hub remotely in this way? 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
surreydude
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Katie

Are you sure? Have a look at this screenshot: http://screenshots.portforward.com/routers/Virgin_Media/Virgin_Media_Hub_3.0/Remote_Access.htm

It's the remote access management page on the hub.

Re: IP Addresses "I appreciate that you may be concerned about your IP address but everything is looking fine from this end. All of our residential hubs will have a private LAN of 192.168.0.1"..."If you have been given an IP address that is not this, then this will be your public WAN."

192.x.x.x are for the LAN as you say. My hub up until yesterday had a public IP in the 82.11.x.x range (has been for some years now) but VM customer support is telling me that it is currently set to 10.x.x.x - this range is not publicly addressable, so there is clearly something wrong with the provisioning of the IP on the public side of the router.

"What makes you think you are having issues within the property and may we ask why you are trying to access your Hub remotely in this way?"

I can no longer access my network (via a VPN that is running at my property) and a network connectivity check on the public IP address that the hub was allocated results in a 500/503 error in a browser and no response for ping. By using the remote management port on the public IP address I could try and see if there is a problem.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @surreydude

Sorry for any misunderstanding - the ability to remotely access the Hub does exist; however, this is not something that we are able to offer support or advice on in a technical capacity. 

We provide dynamic IP address and as such this can change at anytime. Public IP's can start with a 10; however, when we have checked our systems it appears that your IP lease history has not changed recently. As this is the case, it is unlikely the source of your problem. 

As previously advised, your Hub is reporting to be online and is performing as expected. 

Unfortunately, both remote access and VPN is not something that we are able to support with on this forum - saying that, this is something that our amazing Community may be able to assist you with.

Sorry we could not be of further assistance at this time. 

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
surreydude
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Katie

Can you do me a favour and direct message me with the IP address that is currently allocated so I can check it? And also, can you please perform a ping/http check on that IP to verify that there is no error message?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @surreydude

We're not able to provide you with the IP either here or via Private Message (even if we pass data protection this should not be provided in full to any customer). However, as mentioned, it has not changed for at least a couple of months. 

We have done a PING for you in the last few minutes and this was 100% successful 🙂 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

0 Kudos