Menu
TeresaAL
Joining in
Message 11 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: Really Poor broadband

Does anyone know if these errors are due to a fault with the router or the connection/line? 
Tech Guys are sending out a new router but if it`s on the line that won`t work, if it`s on the line or away from router it needs that side fixing.

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 12 of 28
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You can ignore the DHCP errors, that is just the way VM renews DHCP leases and are harmless.

Without testing wired it would be hard to determine if the fault lies with VM's local circuit or your wireless connection to the Hub which depends on many variables.

The T3 errors indicate the Hub has not received a response from VM's servers to a keep alive signal the Hub sends periodically. As the Hub sends these keep alive signals every 30secs it is not unusual to get the odd T3 error. There is nothing in the logs to indicate a problem with VM's local circuit.

This does not necessarily mean that the local circuit is working perfectly, starting a Broadband Quality Monitor would give a more detailed picture on how your connection is performing.

0 Kudos
TeresaAL
Joining in
Message 13 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Thank You for your help and the link, I`ve just joined the monitor group, hopefully it will show there is a problem it is annoying. I used to have my laptop hard wired with the rest of the house on wi-fi, but still had problems, because of this we just went wi-fi all around. Nothing at all is by the router, we sit either side of it and son can be upstairs, they all drop at exactly the same time  I just don`t understand how 3-4 devices can drop at exactly the same time - hopefully a new router will help.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Hi TeresaAL

I'm really sorry to hear of these issues. 

I’ve sent you a private message (purple envelope, top right corner) for some additional information to help me look into this further for you.

Kind regards,

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
TeresaAL
Joining in
Message 15 of 28
Flag for a moderator

We were sent a new router, which for 24 hours or so had no problems, after this the problems started getting bad again. Back to the same old messages on TV, Tablets and streaming again. It went down about an hour ago and I took a snapshot of the Think Broadband Quality monitor I`d started. There are some high peaks, but I can only presume these are normal use, then we got the red line at the exact time the broadband went down again. 

2Think broadband snapshot 5th February.png

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 16 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Yes, the red line looks like the local circuit dropping, the sharp spike at around 10:30 may possible the circuit starting misbehaving, but recovered before it dropped out. Apart from that the BQM, slightly busy at peak times, but that is to be expected.

Due to the infrequency any local circuit issue may be a challenge to pin down.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Message 17 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Hi TeresaAL

Thanks for responding to my message. I've checked the hub over and everything looks great. No time-outs showing but the hub has only been on for around a day. There is some traffic around peak times but it's below the thresholds. How are wired speed tests looking? I've included a link here  with some info on improving the wireless connection. Could you try following the advice and perhaps changing the channel on the hub to see if this improves things? 

Speak soon 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
TeresaAL
Joining in
Message 18 of 28
Flag for a moderator

The hub has been on now since delivery, it hasn`t been disconnected at all - I`m confused as to why it`s showing from your end as only being on 1 day, it`s been 2 weeks or so since we received it, could this be the problem that something is cutting out altogether? 
Wired or wi-fi the whole system goes down, when it drops we can`t use streaming, laptops, phones move onto their own data package - wired connections make no difference, even that goes down. The strange thing is even when we are all away from home it is showing as peaks in usage - how can that be?
Our passwords are secured is there a way that we can be sharing this line with someone else and that is affecting the quality?
In the past one of the engineers has told us that our broadband had been "jumped" to another box because an engineer had messed up at the junction box, he went down bumped us back onto the correct one and it went OK. (I don`t know technical terms sorry) 
Our neighbour has had similar problems and has now moved from Virgin altogether as his couldn`t be fixed either.

0 Kudos
TeresaAL
Joining in
Message 19 of 28
Flag for a moderator

I`ve just been looking through the previous day logs on Think Broadband and can see another 4 days when it has gone down to red line, one day it shows a thick line for around 2 hours, we weren`t home at the time so hadn`t realised it was down at all. Something is amiss, it has to be outside the premises somewhere, I know the junction box gets full with water every time it rains, when an engineer comes it`s always emptied and the internet is even worse so they fill it back up with water. This has been going on for years but recently it`s showing more than ever.

0 Kudos
TeresaAL
Joining in
Message 20 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Think broadband snapshot 10th February.jpg
This is getting worse and have no help whatsoever from Virgin. When we think it`s settled it goes backwards again. 

0 Kudos