Menu
Highlighted
dudleydog
Just joined
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

PC has wireless connection to router but no internet access

Hi all, recently joined Virgin Media from TalkTalk and hoping someone can help me out with a connection issue.  We signed up to vivid 350 with the 3.0 hub.  Everything was set up fine, and have been using wifi on our laptops and tablets without issues.  However we have a pc which was still connected to the old TalkTalk connection.  This has now been disconnected, and we cant get the pc to connect via Virgin.  The pc can find the router and connect to it, but wont then connect to the internet, ie its connected but with no internet access.  Troubleshooting on the pc tells us the router is having connectivity issues and to reboot it, but this doesnt help, and all other devices still connect ok.

Am I missing something obvious here??

Thanks

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: PC has wireless connection to router but no internet access

For a Windows 10 PC, go to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Centre > Local Area Connection. Click on Properties, highlight Internet Protocol Version 4 and click on Properties, ensure that "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically" are checked.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
dudleydog
Just joined
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Awesome, that's done the trick.  Its an older PC on Windows 7 (only used for the kids homework), but its still helped me sort it out.  It wasn't obtaining the DNS server address automatically.

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Glad to hear that it's working!

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

But rises a question...as by default “Obtain DNS server address automatically” is checked so what was the set IP's? Could something of changed it and may change it again.

0 Kudos