Menu
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 11 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intelligent WiFi Disappointed.

Band steering has nothing at all to do with channels, it just denies access to one band (normally the 2.4GHz band) in favour of the other ban for dual band devices, regardless on what channels the hub is broadcasting on.

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 12 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@griffin wrote:

Band steering has nothing at all to do with channels, it just denies access to one band (normally the 2.4GHz band) in favour of the other ban for dual band devices, regardless on what channels the hub is broadcasting on.

I admit I know nothing on how far Virgin's band steering goes/written.  The main part is too steer 5g compliant devices onto 5g, but extras can be written in for things like dropping down to 2.4g if signal is under certain threshold, or moving some devices off 5g if overcrowded and room is available on the 2.4g band.  With all this implemented now - we now know why Virgin have stuck to the one SSID and password for both channels.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 13 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@griffin wrote:

I expect you have noticed in this thread, we have mentioned Channels - but actually mean Bands 🤗

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos