Menu
sstave01
Tuning in
Message 641 of 653
Flag for a moderator

Re: IPhone iOS 11.4.1

Thanks for the comments - did you put into Modem mode or just disable wireless radio?
I'm curious how you have the Airport Express configured to extend the 5GHz network upstairs - I have one Airport Express upstairs at the moment, probably about 4m line of sight to the Airport Extreme so should be able to pick up the 5GHz signal and extend it. When I went to set it up, it just gave me the option of extending both the 2 and 5G network - is that how you have it?
I may get another Express to help out further upstairs, ideally picking up the network from the other Airport Express upstairs.
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 642 of 653
Flag for a moderator

That's fair enough.

Your test of the Hub 3 will be interesting for everyone. I'm not as downbeat about the Hub 3 as jbrennan - mine has been working for 3 years now, albeit in modem mode. I've tested my AE with the Hub 3 both in router mode and modem mode and either method works just fine.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

jbrennand
Legend
Message 643 of 653
Flag for a moderator

As I said above, comparing what you have to the Hub3 is a dangerous "no reverse" experiment !
If you need more ethernet ports just get a Netgear Switch.

EDIT: I take seph's point but I am sure he would agree that the current Hub3 as a router is way inferior to the AE router - or any other router for that matter.  The Intelligent wifi is causing all sorts of issues, the software is buggy, many units spontaneously reset, few features, etc.  So - IMO - its only worth running in modem mode - if so - why change - unless you want the speed upgrades of course.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 644 of 653
Flag for a moderator

Nah - you won't want to revert to the SH2; it's flawed with a known bug and cannot handle the 350/500 services should you ever go that route.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 645 of 653
Flag for a moderator

@Sephiroth wrote:
Nah - you won't want to revert to the SH2; it's flawed with a known bug and cannot handle the 350/500 services should you ever go that route.

The 350/500 is a gimme - but until then.......  Isn't the known SH2 bug the one relating to the WEP/WAP password issue you mentioned earlier?

If so then it doesnt exist in modem mode -- are there other flaws I dont know about yet?  And modem mode is how all VM Hubs should be used anyway Smiley Happy

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 646 of 653
Flag for a moderator

I understand that. But really, the SH2 is not the right hub to have if you have the active choice.

0 Kudos
EN641
On our wavelength
Message 647 of 653
Flag for a moderator

For what it's worth, my SH2 was replaced by the Hub3 last August, FOC, since when I've had no problems at all with WiFi.  Long may it last.

jbrennand
Legend
Message 648 of 653
Flag for a moderator

@EN641 wrote:

For what it's worth, my SH2 was replaced by the Hub3 last August, FOC, since when I've had no problems at all with WiFi.  Long may it last.

You are in the majority with no issues - my pal thinks its the best wifi router in the world!  But wifi connections are so variable in general that I prefer to rely and adopt my own solution to that.  I also dislike the router ability of the Hub3.  its underpowered for more than 10 connections, has few features (e.g. no effective "access control") and the firmware is full of bugs, its still got that poxy Puma6 chipset that some gamers swear is still a problem, etc.  So until I need the speed update I believe that if it aint broke dont fix it.

--------------------
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 649 of 653
Flag for a moderator

"If it ain't broke don't fix it" is a very good policy.

The OP reported things "broke".

jbrennand
Legend
Message 650 of 653
Flag for a moderator

@Sephiroth wrote:
"If it ain't broke don't fix it" is a very good policy.

The OP reported things "broke".

.....and fixed" again in message 640  Smiley Happy

--------------------
0 Kudos