Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hub 4 modem mode

Hi all just a quick question, when in modem mode does the hub 4 only have one functioning ethernet port?

I'm using a Deco mesh system and it's all working fine but could really use another network port.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 4 modem mode

@manamaga wrote:

Hi all just a quick question, when in modem mode does the hub 4 only have one functioning ethernet port?

I'm using a Deco mesh system and it's all working fine but could really use another network port.

Thanks.

Yes. You’ll need to attach an unmanaged desktop switch to the deco’s spare LAN port to get more Ethernet connectivity.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that.  If you're familiar with the TP Link Deco mesh, please could you confirm if this setup will work? (Sorry for the crude drawing)

Untitled drawing.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@manamaga wrote:

Thanks for that.  If you're familiar with the TP Link Deco mesh, please could you confirm if this setup will work? (Sorry for the crude drawing)

Untitled drawing.jpg

The switch needs to connect to the deco, not the hub.

So Unit 1 would connect to the hub (and only that unit would connect to the hub). The switch needs to connect to Unit 1 and everything else can then be connected to the switch. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

As this is my current setup, but the speed is not good enough to the PC upstairs you see.

Untitled drawing (1).jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Cool, so this would be the right configuration then?

Untitled drawing (2).jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@manamaga wrote:

Cool, so this would be the right configuration then?

Untitled drawing (2).jpg

Yes that would work. But powerlines will be slower due to interference and rely on being in the same ring main.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Bugger. Don't think they're on the same ring main.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Is the deco unit not in the same room as the PC? Or could it be? And you can wire to the deco with the PC. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yeah yeah, that's the setup I have now.  Main Deco downstairs hooked up to VM modem, then two upstairs in each bedroom.

Wireless speed from main deco unit 1 downstairs is 150 to 200 meg - No problem with that

Wireless speed from deco unit 2 upstairs is around 60 to 100meg - No problem with that

Wireless and wired speed from deco unit 3 (with the PC connected) upstairs is like 7 to 15 meg - Where the issue lies. The PC is connected to the deco with ethernet cable, but wireless speed in that room is also rubbish.

0 Kudos