Menu
foolishlywise
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 Fault (hub or power supply)

Very happy so far with my VM service (touch wood!) but the Hub 3 supplied has been less than amazing. My hub sits under my TV in the cabinet. It's been put into modem-only mode. I've noticed a couple of oddities: 

a) It's plugged into an Uninterruptable Power Supply. If that UPS switches off, the hub dies. No other device dies when it switches onto battery mode. Checked with a couple of other UPS's and all cause the hub to do the same thing. It seems the hub can't supply on 237v (voltage when power is cut to the UPS)

b) If I move the hub ever so slightly, it reboots. The coax cable is screwed in tightly, power levels all look good (DS 256QAM, power levels between 3-4dbmv with SNR averaging 37db with US 64QAM at 4.65dbmv) and the power connector is firmly pushed into its socket. 

One thing I've noticed is that the hub has log entries from May... I didn't have VM in May so can only assume this was a refurbished/previously used Hub - which looks faulty on point b.

Is it possible for VM to send out a hub without an engineer, as due to work, I can't really be home (our leave has been canceled for some time...)? Further, will swapping the hub result in a new IP address being assigned? I have a couple of services running on the IP and it would be a pain to change it over so soon. Completely understand it's not static, but does seem more sticky than dynamic. 

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media 350/35
0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 Fault (hub or power supply)

You could try phoning customer services or wait a few days for a VM staff member to reply. Please do not bump your post is you do not get a response in a few day, you’ll just go back to the bottom of the list. That’s one reason to phone   

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
0 Kudos
foolishlywise
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 Fault (hub or power supply)

No need - problem solved! I ended up finding an identical power brick (12v 2.5a with the same pin width) which supports an input voltage of 100v-240v instead of just 220-240 which the Arris one has. The supply to my house does sometimes drop between 220~230v so I think having an adapter which will still kick out 12v 2.5a at the lower voltage levels should help. Specification for both supplies seems identical apart from the voltage floor difference.

Out of curiosity, I paid a visit to my neighbor who let me test my UPS on his Hub 3 which also uses an Arris power brick just to confirm it's not a hub/brick fault - managed to replicate symptoms with his setup. 

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media 350/35
0 Kudos