forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
Petecables
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Extending coax cable... sort of...

Hi, I have both broadband and tv (a TiVo box). I have short bit of coax coming from the box at the wall which goes into a 4db Cable Simulator which is attached directly to the input of a ESI-02N 2 way splitter. 

There’s a short length of coax from the 3.6db output of the splitter into the virgin router and then a long length of coax attached to the 4db output of the splitter that runs under the floor into the middle of the room into a TiVo box.

I’d like to move the router into the middle of the room. So would there be any issues with attaching the long length of coax directly into the wall then moving the cable simulator and splitter closer to the end of that bit of cable?

The long cable looks like it has already been extended in the past as there is a male to male connector connecting the two bits of coax and this would allow me to do the move without requiring any more coax or connections that could introduce noise etc  

Basically I guess my question is, does it matter at what point in the cable the cable stimulator and splitter are placed? 

I understand an engineer callout is more than likely the answer, but hoping this is a simple enough fix as there are no new bits of cable in the mix...

Many thanks. 

0 Kudos
Eeeps
Rising star
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Extending coax cable... sort of...

I don't know what a '4dB cable Simulator' is but it sounds like your won't have any problems do what you propose.

How long is the cable that currently goes to the TiVo? It's worth checking the signal levels on your modem in it's current position.
If they are > 0dBm on all down stream channels then you should be fine.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You need an engineer and to pay the £99 callout charge 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Next time your Virgin Service goes down and its being going down a lot lately..call Virgin and endure the long phone call and eventually get through.

After people in India have gone through the script and no clue how to fix they will book a engineer.When the engineer arrives to fix the service speak them about the cable issue. These engineers are normally very friendly and wont mind extending the cable..just don't forget to buy them few drinks 🙂

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M200 Oomph - 5GB SIM + 3 extra SIM family plan - BT whole Wi-Fi - Sky Q
............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.
0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Petecables wrote:

Hi, I have both broadband and tv (a TiVo box). I have short bit of coax coming from the box at the wall which goes into a 4db Cable Simulator which is attached directly to the input of a ESI-02N 2 way splitter. 

There’s a short length of coax from the 3.6db output of the splitter into the virgin router and then a long length of coax attached to the 4db output of the splitter that runs under the floor into the middle of the room into a TiVo box.

I’d like to move the router into the middle of the room. So would there be any issues with attaching the long length of coax directly into the wall then moving the cable simulator and splitter closer to the end of that bit of cable?

The long cable looks like it has already been extended in the past as there is a male to male connector connecting the two bits of coax and this would allow me to do the move without requiring any more coax or connections that could introduce noise etc  

Basically I guess my question is, does it matter at what point in the cable the cable stimulator and splitter are placed? 

I understand an engineer callout is more than likely the answer, but hoping this is a simple enough fix as there are no new bits of cable in the mix...

Many thanks. 

Theoretically it does matter where the splits occur but over a distance of a couple of metres or so it's very unlikely to be significant unless the power levels were borderline to start with. As long as you are careful and make sure that the connections are properly made, there shouldn't be any issue with doing what you suggest.

0 Kudos
Petecables
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this. Turns out the new Wi-Fi router is perfectly fine in the existing position so no need to change anything in the end. Probably for the best. 

0 Kudos