Menu
Highlighted
Cjtlbi
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Could someone explain wifi and wifi booster

Hey just wondering if someone could explain to me why I would suddenly need a wifi booster to fix wifi signal issues on equipment that has been installed and working fine the past year?

I havent moved home, my walls havent got thicker and my router hasnt moved position yet past couple weeks the wifi signal has been dropping on wireless devices mulitple times a day / hourly

And when spoke to technical help they would not.send an engineer or replacement modem there solution was to try sell me wifi boosters at 3£ p/m? 

If anyone.could explain that would be great as I feel ive been insulted after.multple phone calls still no solution apart from wasting more time.on hold to be told they cant send new equipment or engineer they can only upsell.me something I dont believe I need. Thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Could someone explain wifi and wifi booster

@Cjtlbi wrote:

Hey just wondering if someone could explain to me why I would suddenly need a wifi booster to fix wifi signal issues on equipment that has been installed and working fine the past year?

I havent moved home, my walls havent got thicker and my router hasnt moved position yet past couple weeks the wifi signal has been dropping on wireless devices mulitple times a day / hourly

And when spoke to technical help they would not.send an engineer or replacement modem there solution was to try sell me wifi boosters at 3£ p/m? 

If anyone.could explain that would be great as I feel ive been insulted after.multple phone calls still no solution apart from wasting more time.on hold to be told they cant send new equipment or engineer they can only upsell.me something I dont believe I need. Thanks

To be perfectly honest, you probably don't need the wifi boosters, if as you say nothing has changed. However are you absolutely sure that nothing has changed, wifi can be horribly susceptible to interference and this might not be due to anything in your home, it could be something new the neighbours have installed?

Fairly recently VM rolled out an update to the Hub 3s firmware (do you have a Hub 3 by the way?), among other things this update implemented a feature called 'Smart Wifi' and the idea was that it would combine the 2.4 GHz (long range but slower) and 5 GHz (faster but less able to penetrate walls) bands into a single SSID and your devices 'should' automatically switch between the two as you move around to give you the best of both worlds. 

All fair enough, except that for a number of users, it's given them the worse of both worlds, as their devices don't seem to be able to make up their minds which band to connect to or flip-flop between the two and end up connected to neither. So the first thing I'd be tempted to do is to go into the settings on the Hub, disable the Smart Wifi option and then 'split' the two two bands out by giving them different names - just suffix one with 24 and the other with a 5, for example. You will then need to manually setup your wifi devices to connect to either of these and they then won't attempt to jump between them.

Now it may be that after all this, you still have wifi issues, there are other techniques, changing the wifi channel frequency, for example which may or may not help. It might even be the case that a booster will help you but I'd make that the last resort and try some or all of the above actions first - at least they won't cost you any money!

Best wishes

John

0 Kudos
Cjtlbi
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks john for the info regarding the update I will check that and wifi channel when home 

Apart from the nieghbours im 100% positive there has been no changes on my end, no tampering with the settings and no additional new devices been connected and even any new devices in the home that could interfere.

Im not sure what to think never had an.issue until.now and the only solution was to offer more equipment and add an additional bill to an already fairly stretched and struggling income. Was told they could not issue a new modem.or request an engineer as there computer screen was recommending a wifi booster.. I wonder how.many more people is facing the same situation as me and.have been mis-sold these devices... 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

What Hub model do you currently have?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos