Menu
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 21 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sudden unexplained data usage - and huge fee

Right I see. My apologies for that. 

I will private message you now to get some details so we can look into this further. 

^Martin

0 Kudos
Scoodle
Tuning in
Message 22 of 38
Flag for a moderator

I hope it's ok to add to this thread with my seemingly identical issue - I notice that others have done so? Please let me know if I should start a new thread.

My unexplained mobile data use is very similar to that mentioned by others, but with one - I think - significant difference; I have always had my 'mobile data' turned off in 'settings' and I have never ever downloaded data except from my home WiFi. I am on an old 'pay as you go' deal where I pay only for any calls and texts actually made (and any data, should I ever use any - which I don't). 

I only became aware of the issue when Virgin texted me my usual "We will be collecting your monthly bill..." and the sum was in the mid-£20's instead of the usual couple of quid for the odd call and text. On checking on-line, I found it was down to daily £3 mobile data charges from the 3rd May until the 11th when I went in to settings and alarmingly found my mobile data turned back on.

I can state with 100% certainty that I did not intentionally or consciously turn on my mobile data. By that I mean that I absolutely did not go in to settings and turn it back on, on with any awareness or intention press any other icons that could have done this. My Android version is '6' and I am not aware of any other way I could have accidentally turned the mobile data back on; I don't see any icons on the top screen menu that could do this, for example.

The actual data use is bizarre too (at least to me); they are in small dribs and drabs virtually on the hour each day, most of them between a few kbs and a few hundred kbs, with the occasional one going in to a few Mbs. On some days these data packets were exactly on the hour, each hour!

On checking the data use on my phone, it reckoned the total sum over these days was around 165Mb, with Google Play Store (which I disable) claiming 148Mb of that. What on earth is going on?!

Can anyone tell me, please - is there any way to 'accidentally' turn your mobile data back on? (I can also categorically state that no-one else uses my phone!)

Looking at my account, it looks as tho' Virgin charges £3 for each GB of data used each day; I have received the full daily £3 charge for a few Mbs. Is this right?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as, until I figure out how this happened, it can obviously happen again. I notice on other replies that Virgin can disable the mobile data feature which I guess would be a useful thing to do, although it seems a blunt tool for something which just shouldn't happen in the first place. Meanwhile I am facing a £27 bill for 9 days of unasked-for data use, and data that has not been of any benefit to me and is unwanted.

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 23 of 38
Flag for a moderator

@Scoodle

The bit I find odd about yours, for PAYG the data charges are £2 @day for 200MB - the £3 @day for 1GB is pay monthly SIM charges?.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only x2. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Scoodle
Tuning in
Message 24 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Hi Teabag.

To be frank, I don't know the exact name of my contract - it was started more than 15 years ago and you are simply billed at the end of each month for any calls and texts actually made - no fixed charge or up-front fees.

Only recently - last year - did I buy my first Smartphone, and the first thing I did was to disable 'mobile data' as I do only use my phone to be contactable if needed. I never ever use it to 'surf' unless I'm at home and connected to my WiFi. 

My reference to the '£3 per GB' was taken from the top of my recent bill, and is actually something I hadn't noticed before as it wasn't of relevance.

0 Kudos
Scoodle
Tuning in
Message 25 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Hi again, Teabag.

It's a 'Pay Monthly' contract. For the first time ever it had an alert on the billing page;

"You're out of data

Your data allowance has run out. You'll be charged £3 for each 1GB of data you use that day, until your refresh date 9th Jun 2019.

Alternatively, you can buy a data add-on."

Can you shed any light on what has gone wrong? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Scoodle
Tuning in
Message 26 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Whilst I'm waiting for a Virgin rep to hopefully answer my concern, I wonder if I can make a pre-emptive request for to them to consider as a mutually-satisfactory outcome once we've arrived at the cause of this unexpected data usage? :-)

I am not at all blaming Virgin for this unexpected use of mobile data as I have no idea how the 'mobile data' setting was changed without my knowledge and seemingly without my input to turn it back on, and I also have no idea what data was downloaded in these numerous small amounts each day from the 3rd to the 11th May. All I can say at the moment is that it was definitely unintended and also that I have not actually benefited from these unknown downloads in any way as I don't even know what they are.

My request is therefore; I have just received an unconnected text from Virgin 'apologising that my service may have been disrupted last Tuesday', and 'offering me a free extra 5GB of data for use this coming Sunday' to compensate. Since I have no need for, and will not use, this 5GB of data tomorrow, is there any chance that Virgin could instead put that kind offer against the much smaller amount of data that I somehow downloaded over the earlier 9 days in May? The data downloaded during this issue amounted to around a total of a few MBs per day (eg ~3.4MB on the 3rd, ~2.2MB on the 4th...), so I'd estimate the total over the 9 days the problem existed to be well under 30MB. For that 30MB I have been charged £27. How about using my free 5GB to wipe that 30MB? :-)

Even if you would be so good as to do this, I would obviously still appreciate knowing how the problem arose in the first place - is it a Virgin, Android or a user fault?

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 27 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Hi Scoodle, thanks for getting in touch.

I can understand your concerns around incurring charges for data unexpectedly.

I'll send a PM shortly to confirm some details so we can take a further look into this for you.

Tom_F

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 28 of 38
Flag for a moderator

@Scoodle wrote:

Hi again, Teabag.

It's a 'Pay Monthly' contract. For the first time ever it had an alert on the billing page;

"You're out of data

Your data allowance has run out. You'll be charged £3 for each 1GB of data you use that day, until your refresh date 9th Jun 2019.

Alternatively, you can buy a data add-on."

Can you shed any light on what has gone wrong? Thanks.

turning data off on the phone is not enough - i posted a long thread ages ago detailing the results of 2 identical phones - one had data turned off the other had data turned on - the use of data was exactly as you describe on BOTH phones

afaik its something to do with 4g - i never had this problem on a couple of old phones that would not do 4g - the sims would but not the old Blackberry phones

as soon as i upgraded to modern smartphones which would do 4g these data charges starting showing - again afaik no other provider shows this usage although it is there - VM have been investigating this for a year or more and seemingly not solved it

so dont take their excuse its not them - it clearly is or more they have no idea how to cure it - dont accept that turning data usage off on the phone will cure it - my experience of a year or so ago says that does no good - they can as you say turn data off at their end - i have no idea if that cures the problem

the one thing that is sure [imo] is that its their problem not yours - they were at one time crediting users when this showed on the bill - no idea if thats still the case

Tony
Scoodle
Tuning in
Message 29 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tony, and it would be reassuring to know it wasn't user error since I'm at a complete loss as to what I could have done to make it happen.

I'll obviously wait to see what Virgin have to say about it, and Tom is on the case :-).

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 30 of 38
Flag for a moderator

@Scoodle wrote:

Thanks Tony, and it would be reassuring to know it wasn't user error since I'm at a complete loss as to what I could have done to make it happen.

I'll obviously wait to see what Virgin have to say about it, and Tom is on the case :-).

they have been on the case for the last year or more and yet users come and post the same problem so i would be interested to know if Tom has an answer or an excuse

Tony
0 Kudos