Menu
bcham
On our wavelength
Message 11 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: moving home no virginmedia service

ill wait a few days until i find my exact moving date, as at the moment the council are doing some work  on the bungalow so it could take longer,and i need broadband for my job search. don't want it cutting of before i move, would any one recommend talk talk at my new address seems pretty cheapish,

0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 12 of 21
Flag for a moderator

"would any one recommend talk talk"

Probably no one in the history of the world ever, but it depends on what you want.  If you want cheap as chips for the first year, aren't worried by poor customer service & dodgy contract terms, and you're happy with subsequent price rises, then Talktalk and Sky are worth considering.  If a company offers you a low price, a stable connection and gets the billing right, then potentially you can ignore poorly rated customer service because you won't need it.  However, if anything goes wrong or circumstances change, as sadly happens, that's when you find out what sort of customer service you've been paying for.

I'd suggest you might want to do some reading on your options.  Similarly look on sites like Trustpilot to see what the balance of opinion is for a company before committing to give them your money, on their terms, for a minimum of a year.

bcham
On our wavelength
Message 13 of 21
Flag for a moderator

think ill go with zen broadband only, when do i ring zen the day i move or before.
0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 14 of 21
Flag for a moderator

No matter who you choose, phone them before you move, but probably only when you know the date (or week) you're moving.  That way they can get your account setup, and the connection arranged so that it should be ready to go live when you move in.

Many ISPs want a contact email - if you've got a non-ISP email (eg gmail, hotmail, outlook or similar) then it is best to use that rather than your outgoing Virgin Media email address, since you may not have access to that soon.

Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 15 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@bcham wrote:

ill wait a few days until i find my exact moving date, as at the moment the council are doing some work  on the bungalow so it could take longer,and i need broadband for my job search. don't want it cutting of before i move, would any one recommend talk talk at my new address seems pretty cheapish,

A friend of mine has TalkTalk broadband, no problems reported. She also has the basic TV package with a free YouView box, cost for the package is £29.95pm including line rental. For an extra one-off £50 you can get the TV Plus package with a YouView box that has a 300GB hard drive for recording. These boxes are rather low-tech with an HDMI 1.3a and a SCART for output, but that's fine for the many people whose TV is HD 1080p at best.

You'll need a traditional phone line (supplied by the likes of BT or TalkTalk) and an aerial (external is best).

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 16 of 21
Flag for a moderator

"A friend of mine has TalkTalk broadband, no problems reported."

Almost certainly true of most Talk Talk customers.  But according to Ofcom, who are normally the ISP's best friend: "TalkTalk achieved below-average scores in several areas, with its broadband customers less likely to be satisfied with their overall service and less likely to recommend TalkTalk to a friend.  TalkTalk’s customers are also more likely to have a reason to complain, less likely to have their complaint resolved on first contact, and less likely to be satisfied with how their complaint is handled."  I might add Talk Talk's repeated data breaches have put their customers at greater risk of fraud.

Obviously if everything works, you don't have any need for customer service.  By the time you do need customer service, it's too late if you're with one of the big companies that consider customer service an expense to be avoided.  For example, my elderly and disabled parents had a satisfactory (if ludicrously expensive) experience with Sky for almost twenty years.  But when they really needed customer service, that loyalty counted for nothing, and they were hounded for a debt they didn't owe, despite multiple letters explaining.  I had to get involved and threaten CISAS, Ofcom and the Communications Consumer Panel - all of which I was able and willing to follow through.  Sadly Sky caved in, because I was looking forward to wiping the floor with such a disgusting, bungling third rate bunch of thieves, and seeing them hit with a few hundred quid of CISAS case fees as well.  And as an aside, Sky, if your press monitoring team is reading this, you cretins still have't complied with the relevant GDPR subject access request attached to a formal complaint, so that's being escalated to the ICO.

Big ISPs, big energy companies, big insurers (and indeed HMRC and the NHS) etc are all very similar on this point - they create systems and processes that work well for most people.  But when things go wrong the resources, processes and systems for customer service are utterly inadequate.  It is always the smaller companies who have to have a differentiator who offer a better service, although with HMRC and the NHS we'll struggle on that...

0 Kudos
bcham
On our wavelength
Message 17 of 21
Flag for a moderator

don't need any extra expense as i only get a pittance to live on ,

so the broadband only deal will suit me with zen.

0 Kudos
Amran
Tuning in
Message 18 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Honestly I wouldn’t recommend talk talk to anyone as they have been hacked and a lot customers lost money due to it, have you consider looking at plusnet as an option as well? Also I would recommend you checking out top cashback website to get cashback if you decided to sign up for any broadband provider to help you save more money.

chenks
Community elder
Message 19 of 21
Flag for a moderator

plusnet? good grief!!
if you think plusnet CS is better than Talk Talk then i shake my head in disbelief.
both of them as equally as bad as each oether.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Amran
Tuning in
Message 20 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I have two broadband connection in my property I have virgin media broadband and plusnet broadband and I have no issue with plusnet no drop out or anything so have no problem with it, I found out plusnet customer service great when I did have an issue once they solved the issue without a hitch. Also I didn’t say plusnet has better cs service then talk talk just said I wouldn’t recommend talk talk and told bcham to consider looking into plusnet as a option that all so it up to bcham which provider to go too and recommended top cashback website to save even more money.

0 Kudos