Menu
petemorf
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Power of Attorney

How is it that i am not able in this world of technology that i am unable to email a PDF of my POA documents to Virgin ?

How is it that i will have to spend money on postage, wait for a response and even longer for action !!!!

My mother is in a home with Alzheimer's, she has no need or can even use a phone never mind be billed for one .

I had to explain 5 or more times why I am trying to cancel my  mothers account and freeze the account so she receives no more demands for late payment  .

Please Virgin Catch up please

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Power of Attorney

@ModTeam

Anyone available to assist this one? Should be an easy process for customer not the run around.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
bromham
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I suspect the reason is that PDFs are trivially easy to forge.  For that reason, most organisations need to see either the original POA or a certified copy (normally a photocopy of the original, signed and stamped on each page by a solicitor who confirms that it's a true copy of the original).  It's not sensible to send the original document by post (because of the risk of loss), so the sensible thing to do is to ask a local solicitor to make a few certified copies that you can send to those organisations where you want to act in place of your mother.  They will all return the copy so you can reuse it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
petemorf
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The pdf in question is actually a photo copier direct to pdf scan, it shows the validation numbers and all other parts needed, it's been accepted by many agencies. 

0 Kudos
bromham
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

That surprises me.  I last used a POA about five years ago and, at that time, every single organisation I dealt with insisted on seeing a physical certified copy.  Unless there's been a recent change I'm not aware of, there's no simple way of validating a POA from the numbers stamped on it by the Office of the Public Guardian, so I'm not surprised at a demand for a certified copy by post, even if there are some organisations that are less stringent in their requirements.

I agree with your main point, that emailed PDFs should be acceptable and there should be a secure means of validating such a PDF.  But that would require a change in the law.  Perhaps a letter to your MP would be appropriate?  I very much doubt that you'll change VM's stance on this without a statutory basis as they're simply playing safe (or acting responsibly, depending on your point of view).

jamesofmerton
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

agree with you bromham. i had a lengthy spell dealing with power of attorneys. we only accepted originals/certified copy. no matter how much someone complained about it we wouldn't entertain general copies or emails. we even had someone send in a written power of attorney, yes physically written. it wasn't accepted and we didn't hear from the relative who had sent it in again.

i do remember someone going to their mp about it. it's going back a few years, but from memory the letter the mp sent to the complainant agreeing with us, was then sent to us by them with abuse written all over it.

the prevention of fraud is paramount. that is why these rules exist for all. too many up to no good and i've seen the effects of that too. as you know, power of attorneys can allow someone to take over anothers day to day financial responsibilities in whole or part. that should never be taken lightly by any organisation. any that do can find themselves in serious trouble during any audit/subsequent fraud.

Forum Team (Retired) Kaz_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi petemorf

I appreciate what you have said above and thank you for taking the time to post.

Our current process is to write in sending a copy of the PoA to the following address

Virgin Media
Matrix Court
Off Nantong Way
Siemans Way Enterprise Park
Swansea
SA7 9BB

I will feed this back to our accessibility teams to see if they can look at the email suggestion as an option for the future.

Kindest regards,

Karen

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Deed poll name change, @Kaz_A? 😇😜

Forum Team (Retired) Kaz_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Kev capitulated to the pressure that is Hurricane Kaz within seconds @Ernie_C Smiley Happy

If I can do the same to the accessibility team with the creation of an email for PoA I'm gong to be more than happy with my impact on the business before I leave.

Smiley Very Happy

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos