cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lower Ping and Latency - is it possible?

braincomplexa
Tuning in

Hi, I don't know how else to put this other than as a 1st world problem, but how may I reduce my ping in COD Warzone for example from an average of 45ms to say 20ms on average? I'm looking to play seriously at home and not casually.

My current package is M100 Fibre and I use a TP LINK WPA4220 powerline adapter which has given me the download speeds I want to the location where my PC is, but my ping and latency seems to be the same whether I'm using the powerline adapater or directly connected to the HUB 3 downstairs through Ethernet...

So it makes me wonder is it down to FTTP vs FTTC? Sadly, the only broadband company providing fibre is Virgin in my area, but I'm willing to go down in speed if required to get the best latency and ping, if that's the only solution. 

Ofcom report for latency shows Virgin seems to be one of the worst when it comes to latency but not massively worse, but I'm wondering am I gonna have to change providers, even though I don't want to as I just joined Virgin, to get around say 20ms ping on average in my games... Or is there a workaround for an engineer to fix which I'm willing to pay for, of course. 

I haven't tried portforwading, but I'm willing to try it if someone knowledgeable suggests so, also I can provide the necessary tests and pics to diagnose and show my connection. I have indeed been running a BQM since two days ago.

Any help is greatly appreciated

10 REPLIES 10

Go here and check your mtu, http://www.letmecheck.it/mtu-test.php

Find the highest not fragmented number.

go with the final number without the header wrap

ie: 1365, without header is 1337

in hub 3.0 , go advanced> tools> mtu

change from 1500 to the number without the header wrap.

you should get under 20ms, probably down to 12-15ms

enjoy!!