Menu
chedyus
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

High latency

hello, so long story short I was in contact with someone from virgin media and they pushed an firmware update for my modem hub3.0 which was supposed to improve my connectivity but it didn't, I still have high pings and my connection is not stable and reliable while I'm playing games... here you have a screen shoot of the UOtrace ! high ping times and on many hops a Ping best/worst of over 100ms, I use an ethernet cable 5e! is anything or anyone can help me or should I look for another ISP ?

Screenshot (7).png 

The information below shows current status of this Virgin Media Hub 3.0.
Standard specification compliant
:
DOCSIS 3.0
Hardware version
:
Software version
:
CH7465LG-NCIP-6.12.18.25-2p3-NOSH
Cable MAC address
:
**:**:**:**:**:**
Cable modem serial number
:
DEAP815209F6
System up time
:
0day(s)1h:37m:7s
Network access
:
Allowed

0 Kudos
chedyus
Joining in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: High latency

this is my bundle!

Limitless 240Mb

Enjoy endless online entertainment, connect with friends and family instantly, download videos, share your photos and stream online games in super fast time. Our Fibre Power network delivers unbeatable broadband.

this is what VM ad says! well is not true!

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@chedyus Are you in Ireland by any chance?  I'm not aware of Virgin Media UK offering a 240Mbps service and this forum is only staffed by VM UK staff, they can't help with VM Ireland issues.

For VM Ireland you need to go to this forum:

http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1546

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
chedyus
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ireland yes 

@SCA1972 wrote:

@chedyus Are you in Ireland by any chance?  I'm not aware of Virgin Media UK offering a 240Mbps service and this forum is only staffed by VM UK staff, they can't help with VM Ireland issues.

For VM Ireland you need to go to this forum:

http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1546

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

Ireland yes ! 

0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The higher pings in your results appear to be for US hosted servers (or US companies, where the "UK" server may be mirroring to the US).

Anything under 70 ms is tolerable in gaming - your round trip human reaction time in gaming is around 200+ ms (try it here and be as disappointed as I was).

At a theoretical speed of light calculation the ping from UK to US coast would be about 45 ms, not including any optical, electrical or switching elements.  Now factor in the many likely corrections (eg the speed of light in optical fibres is slower than vacuum) and we're talking about 80 ms for a fault free real world service.  Add in some localised congestion and server constraints and well over 100 ms is still a good result.

So, I'm sorry if you don't like what I'm saying, but I think there's nothing wrong with the pings you're posting.  

And the same maths apply if you're in Ireland!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
chedyus
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Andruser wrote:

The higher pings in your results appear to be for US hosted servers (or US companies, where the "UK" server may be mirroring to the US).

Anything under 70 ms is tolerable in gaming - your round trip human reaction time in gaming is around 200+ ms (try it here and be as disappointed as I was).

At a theoretical speed of light calculation the ping from UK to US coast would be about 45 ms, not including any optical, electrical or switching elements.  Now factor in the many likely corrections (eg the speed of light in optical fibres is slower than vacuum) and we're talking about 80 ms for a fault free real world service.  Add in some localised congestion and server constraints and well over 100 ms is still a good result.

So, I'm sorry if you don't like what I'm saying, but I think there's nothing wrong with the pings you're posting.  

And the same maths apply if you're in Ireland!

the game has a data center which you can choose what server you want to connect so I always connect to the London one because has the lowest pings but still the connection between me and them is not stable I keep getting connection time out while playing !  

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Chedyus, 

Welcome to our community forums! 

Sorry to see your experiencing issues with your broadband. 

I'm afraid we only deal with UK residential accounts, you would be best to get in touch with Virgin Media Ireland they will be able to check your account. 

You can see ways to get in touch with the team here

Many thanks, 

Hetty_R
0 Kudos
chedyus
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Hetty_R wrote:

Hi Chedyus, 

Welcome to our community forums! 

Sorry to see your experiencing issues with your broadband. 

I'm afraid we only deal with UK residential accounts, you would be best to get in touch with Virgin Media Ireland they will be able to check your account. 

You can see ways to get in touch with the team here

Many thanks, 

ok thanks, wrong forum! 🙂

0 Kudos