Menu
Andruser
Rising star
Message 11 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gaming Latency and Ofcom

We'd all like to think so.  But speaking for myself (and as somebody who has programmed computers for a living), I don't believe that all of the flaws of the Puma 6 can be resolved purely through firmware - the gutless and underpowered CPU, for example.  Added to which, the router side of the Hub 3 is poor, but not because of the Puma 6, so there will be little improvement there.

What's even more worrying is the total denial by VM that there is any problem.  In their last quarterly results, they made the comment "2.3 million or 41% of our broadband subscribers now have our best-in-class WiFi router".  Now, hands up who thinks the Hub 3 is in any way "best in class" for its wifi?  Who are they kidding, other than themselves?  The router of the Hub 3 is cheap junk.  The signal is weak, it is unreliable, it struggles with more than handful of devices, routinely glitches.  And VM think that's "best in class"

Luke_113
Fibre optic
Message 12 of 22
Flag for a moderator

So being that I'm a Virgin Media Business customer, I don't have to deal with the remote based call centres and the web chat is usually perfectly good for getting things resolved, so we had a power outtage in my street, as a pro gamer team has moved in the house opposite and I think the additional kit they'll have powered up akin to the number of systems I have constantly running, and I think with the other neighbours (one of which has considerable house work going on) had just pushed a cable that was laid 30ish years ago to the max. So before I knew it was a power outtage as I could only see my ping graphs showing no response, opened web chat to notify them of a connection down, the web chat guy told me that around 200 other connections were effected, anyway after a long time chatting to him and asking several questions around VM's practices, he in short gave away why VM don't allow 3rd party routers and the reasoning is ABSOLUTELY diabolical and unbelievably stupid - he did however give me enough information for me to act upon to see if I can infact use a 3rd party modem so when I can pick one up at the end of the month I'll give it a try and report back on the results (he did confirm it IS possible), and I questioned about firmware patches (as thats how Sky find people who have brute forced the username/password out of their horrible sky routers and replaced them with better kit, when firmware patches fail - VM don't do this it just fails and nobody is fussed).

Second to that a day later I got an email informing me of advanced works notice, which supposedly is going to 'resolve the speed issues some customers are having in the area' whatever that means, with any luck, increasing capacity......

Anyway back on topic, the Intel Puma6 issue, may not be possible to be resolved by firmware patching, so you know what would be an easier fix? Just send out an alternative router/modem ONLY to the people that call up and complain that way if people don't know they're unaffected and don't care because as I've mentioned previously just browsing facebook and stream Netflix you're very unlikely to be aware of the issues, but yes the description of 'best in class' isn't accurate unless it tops a list of the worst router/modems

0 Kudos
Andruser
Rising star
Message 13 of 22
Flag for a moderator

VM obviously think that the latest patch is adequate, as it is being progressively released to customers.  I suspect that it will be enough to dramatically reduce the volume of complaints, and that will count as success for VM.  Some people might remain unhappy with things it doesn't fix, but I doubt there will be sufficient die-hards willing and able to force further action (eg use of customer provided modems).

If Ofcom or CAB got involved now, VM will simply wave the new firmware, say "we've fixed it, and this small bunch of customers are being unreasonable".  And I suspect that Ofcom and CAB do have more important things to address.

0 Kudos
Hendrado
On our wavelength
Message 14 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi all,

Just a quick update with regards to the CISAS case of mine. It’s been accepted and VM’s Executive Office have written to me to acknowledge the case. They have one more week to provide a response. 

Ive not heard anything from VM directly. Has anyone else got anywhere? 

0 Kudos
Luke_113
Fibre optic
Message 15 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Whilst its good to see you're getting somewhere with your's, don't expect anything more from the exec office other than a letter confirming they'll charge you 50% whilst the fault is on going back dating to the date you raised it, or just offering to release you from contract without any charge.

VM are not going to change their business practice until too many customers start going elsewhere, the moment they do, when BT start aggresively challenging their speed monopoly with G.Fast and the FTTP rollout VM will just turn a notch and up the max bandwidth up to around 500Mbps download and 35Mbps upload putting them back at the top for the most amount of bandwidth, which is fine as long as they scrap the hub3 and replace with something that doesn't have the same issues.

VM are owned by Liberty Global who own alot of other similar cable companies and thus are a cable ISP mosnter, and as per another post we are just RGU (Revenue Generating Units) to them and it would take a significant number of VM users to leave for them to give a monkeys....

On the flip side, there was a rumour that VM are being underfunded to entice Vodafone to buy them from Liberty Global, and I was reading yesterday that Vodafone are building a network with gamers in mind, from the ground up (I mean it wouldn't be if they buy Virgin), and they did just sponsor the PUBG Invitational (not that performance should be measured by this) so that does bring a little hope that if they're purchased by Vodafone that they'll get vastly better, if that happens expect a price hike however given that Vodafone are expensive on the mobile side.....
0 Kudos
Hendrado
On our wavelength
Message 16 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. I absolutely agree with you, I am a drop in the ocean to VM and they couldn't care less if I left them. I just felt that I had to do something as no one was interested in what I had to say. They just wanted to give me £30.00 GOGW and send me on my way. 

It's just so frustrating that they persist with the view that no 3rd party router can be used to replace their sub standard equipment. Even if they created a pre approved list, that would completely stop this issue! The lack of transparency VM have shown since the issue was first raised is utterly woeful and it's hugely unfortunate for the consumer that no one will hold them accountable. 

VM *could* have a great product, it is just frustrating that they won't listen to their customers, particularly gamers who they target with advertising but fail to deliver half decent latency compared to other providers. I'll let you know the final outcome. 

0 Kudos
Skie
Up to speed
Message 17 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Even if the puma fix does help, the truth of the matter is that cable as a technology will never be as good as ADSL or real fibre to the home for online gaming.

DOCSIS is a kludge to make a 1-way broadcast system work 2 way. Due to how it's implemented, your jitter is always going to be higher than with the other connection types. Even where virgin are actually providing fibre to the home, they are layering the cable system on it so it suffers from the same problems.

0 Kudos
acheronte
On our wavelength
Message 18 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Just to chime in, I also wrote to Ofcom and got a bland response on the lines of "we can't really do much, take it up to VM". Still I suggest you also write. Another user also mentioned CISAS. I'll try writing them as well. The objective is to create awareness.

As others have said, one person might not count because to VM all we are is a revenue generating unit, but if many affected by the issue leave then it will surely bother as it would hit them in the pockets.

Anyway, I'll put into writing my intention to leave and I will not entertain the idea of paying any penalty for leaving the contract early as I was essentially mis-sold a package with subpar hardware that VM doesn't allow me to replace (I swear  you can't make this up). 

0 Kudos
Andruser
Rising star
Message 19 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Another option would be to write to the author of this Citizens Advice article, this Citizens Advice article at Citizens Advice, 3rd Floor North, 200 Aldersgate, London, EC1A 4HD.  That author is a very senior individual, well engaged in the world of regulation and consumer policy, and would be a fantastic advocate for demanding technical quality of service across broadband connections.

And yet another route to provoke action would be to write to the Chair of Ofcom's Communications Consumer Panel.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 20 of 22
Flag for a moderator

OFCOM won't do anything.

This is not an issue for OFCOM to explore

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi