Menu
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 11 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable To Log On To Virgin Media To Access Email

"550:550 5.5.0 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable."

Never mind about the rest. The message means what it says. The mailbox at the Hotmail end of things is not available. And its the Hotmail end of things telling the Virgin Media end of things that the mailbox is not available. So the Hotmail end of things has sent the message back with this note. Just like the GPO does when it can't deliver a letter you've sent because the address doesn't exist any more.

Nothing complicated about that?

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 12 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@IanS wrote:
You are absolutely correct. I would have logged in my emails via my virgin.net address and as far as I can remember the only password that I have ever had.

The error lines from the email were:-

Delivery to the following recipients failed permanently:

Reason: This is the mail system at host know-smtprelay-2-imp.

The remote server returned the below error when attempting delivery:

550:550 5.5.0 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable.

[VE1EUR01FT038.eop-EUR01.prod.protection.outlook.com]

Needless to say I haven't a clue what the above means.

Thanks to all who have taken the time to try and help.

If you cannot log in to your Virgin email account how are you able to view/access this particular email?

If you set up your email client for POP access then all your emails would have downloaded to your local machine. This makes them visible without having online access to your email account.

If your account has now been suspended or deleted you will still see them but you will not be able to send or receive anything new until access to your account has been restored.

The VM support staff will have to have a look at your account to see what, if anything, can be done.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 13 of 20
Flag for a moderator

If you read message 4 you will see that IanS still has access to the email via email client.  Webmail access not being available may be an indication that the account deletion process has commenced.  Probably best left to the Forum Team.  They have acknowledged my mention so are aware of the thread.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
IanS
Tuning in
Message 14 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, if this is obvious. Are you saying that the only problem in the email being rejected is with the hotmail account? Obviously, I have spoken to the person and they have said it is working fine. I saw a thread on here regarding what I thought was this issue and it advised to change the email password? Hence the start of this thread.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 15 of 20
Flag for a moderator

That is what the Hotmail server is telling the VM server. I believe the Hotmail server. The message is clear and unambiguous. So go figure. A password change at your end is clearly not and has never been the answer. And I now think you have been conflating two issues as Graham_A has pointed out.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 16 of 20
Flag for a moderator

IanS. There appears to be two separate issues here, as HowardML has said.

Issue 1 - your email account not being linked to your current VM broadband account. - VM input required

Issue 2 - sending to a specific Hotmail address.  Are you able to send to other Hotmail addresses successfully?

Use Kudos to say thanks

IanS
Tuning in
Message 17 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Sending to another hotmail address would be a very good idea.

Unfortunately, I have none that I have recently sent to and I don't write them down. There would almost certainly be some if I could access my old emails.
0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 18 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@IanS wrote:
Sending to another hotmail address would be a very good idea.

Unfortunately, I have none that I have recently sent to and I don't write them down. There would almost certainly be some if I could access my old emails.

For old emails:

All email messages are stored locally on a mail folder in the hidden AppData folder. Email messages are stored as .EML files and to be able to read them without the Mail App needs another email client that is capable of reading .EML files.

Check the folder C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Packages\, choose microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps and open the folder \LocalState\Indexed\LiveComm. Find the "Mail" folder and open it. You will see those .EML files stored on that location. 

Contacts should be held in the People app.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
IanS
Tuning in
Message 19 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Apologies to everyone but the hotmail issue is now resolved. It was totally down to me messing up in inputting the original address. I inputted an extra character in the first place and when I subsequently tried again with auto fill it must have filled the wrong address again.

The original moderator came back to me and we are still looking at Issue 1.
IanS
Tuning in
Message 20 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I don't know if there is some confusion but Issue 1 remains unresolved and despite replying I haven't heard anything from the moderator since Friday.
0 Kudos