Menu
Highlighted
br1anstorm
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Reporting spam emails to Virgin

I have recently received spam emails purporting to be from Virgin, containing malware links and attachments.  Its easy enough for me simply to delete them.  But obviously I think Virgin should be aware and should investigate.  So I'd like to report them.

However.... the 'Report Abuse' form on the website appears to be set up so that it only processes reports of spam/abuse originating from Virgin's own servers.  Self-evidently the emails I have received are NOT from Virgin, but from some malign sender who is spoofing so that they look as if they come from Virgin.  So it is clearly in Virgin's own interests to address this problem.

I have searched the website and the forums, and I cannot find any other means of reporting the details of these emails to Virgin.  Can anybody offer precise guidance as to where and how I might do so?

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Reporting spam emails to Virgin

Hello

Pretty easy just forward the emails to phishing@virginmedia.com and they will deal with it.

Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Before you do anything always check on this part of the Forum:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/bd-p/Internet_Security

for reports about phishing attempts that have already been brought to VM's attention

You should be aware that it can be pretty pointless to investigate the source of this stuff. It often comes from countries that have little regard for the rule of law and sending in the "boys in blue" is unheard of.

The important thing is to stop the rubbish and you might do what others do if you want to be really helpful to the honest internet community as a whole - report them via SpamCop. That helps ISPs filter out this obnoxious stuff.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
br1anstorm
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike.

My first reaction was that if that was the sensible channel to use, then there ought to be a clear instruction giving that address placed front and centre of the Virgin Media Help and Support website pages.

Anyway, I thought I'd report the dodgy emails to that address anyway, so I carefully cut-and-pasted full details of each (I didn't simply forward them) and sent them off.

The perverse and ironic consequence is that I have just had an automatically generated response from the mailer-daemon at Virgin Media saying that "......delivery failed permanently .....because the message contains spam content"

Yeah, right.  That's precisely why I reported them! 

If Virgin's own phishing-report system can't receive or see details of spam messages which are submitted, what use is that system?

0 Kudos
br1anstorm
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

A quick response to HowardML.

The link to Virgin's security matters page was useful and interesting.  It immediately confirmed that there is a recognised problem of fraudulent spam/phishing emails purporting to be from Virgin, similar to those I've just had.  Typically they include a reference to an attached invoice or similar, and that attachment or link is malign and dangerous.

But that doesn't address the central point.  Of course it's difficult to counteract spam.  But the main task has to fall to the ISP (in this case Virgin).  Not just because they (should) have the technical expertise and capacity, but also because it is their own service and identity that is being spoofed.  So their reputation is on the line.  It's not for individual recipients/victims to do the research, the checking, and the detective work:  I have other things to deal with. 

I am prepared to supply the evidence, or raw material, to enable the ISP - in the first instance - to investigate and take appropriate preventative action.  So I expect Virgin to enable and facilitate an arrangement which enables me to report the spam details quickly and easily.  At present this doesn't seem to be the case.

If I am public-spirited, and have the time, I could and would go through the routines necessary to report to third-parties like SpamCop so that they can investigate and help protect others.  But that is neither a substitute nor an alternative to Virgin, as the ISP, stepping up and dealing with the matter.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

As i don't work for VM you'll have to take your points up with the VM staff who will, in due course, respond to this thread.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
br1anstorm
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, HowardML - I'll wait with bated breath to see the VM staff response when they review this thread.

Meanwhile an update on the other approach suggested by Mike, to report to the "phishing@virginmedia" address.  I reported three spam emails.  The first generated the "undeliverable.... because it contains spam" auto-reply I described above, which inspired cynicism rather than confidence.

The other two have now prompted auto-replies which acknowledge receipt of my reports, and offer advice and various links to more guidance and info about security on the VM site.  Fine.

Am I reassured that VM is gripping the problem effectively?  Well, only up to a point, Your Honour.....

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If you get the spam found message in a case like this it simply means that VM already know about the mail. Read the relevant section in this:

https://netreport.virginmedia.com/netreport/

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
br1anstorm
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks HowardML

I've just re-read the VM security guidance and the - daily - posts giving the "Latest Phishing News".  That at least gives some reassurance that VM is aware, and is recording and keeping track of the threat.

Logging after the event at least gives a record and examples for others to peruse.  I'm no tech expert.  But I'd like to think that VM might have the capacity, and the incentive, to try to prevent and block such messages as well as cataloguing them after they have been sent.  But maybe it's all too difficult?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Utopian. No ISP can block every spam mail and identifying them is difficult. How is an ISP supposed to know what is spam and what is ham without reading the contents of every mail. Like I want that like I want my finger nails pulled out! Spam filtering is always defensive at base.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos