the error message i get says user name or password incorrect

0 Kudos
an1063
On our wavelength
Message 92 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Re: Possible problems sending email.

Hi Tim

I'm still having the'password incorrect' messages - if the server is now fixed Im note sure if the problem is at my end or VM.

Webmail seems to be working ok.

thanks

0 Kudos
Paulreso1
Joining in
Message 93 of 102
Flag for a moderator

I changed my SMTP server from smtp.ntlworld.com to virginmedia....but mail still doesn't send on any device - iPhone; iPad or iMac

0 Kudos
SDC
Super solver
Message 94 of 102
Flag for a moderator

@Paulreso1wrote:

I changed my SMTP server from smtp.ntlworld.com to virginmedia....but mail still doesn't send on any device - iPhone; iPad or iMac

@Are you changing the username too? When using smtp.ntlworld.com the username needed is only the bit before the @, whereas for smtp.virginmedia.com the whole address is required. It's easy to overlook that detail when jumping back and forth between server names.

-------------------------------------- sig start --------------------------------------
A dog is for life, not just for Christmas.
A VM email account is NOT for life, its maximum span is the duration of its associated VM broadband account + 90 days.
-------------------------------------- sig end --------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 95 of 102
Flag for a moderator

If you are seeing username not recognised then your problem is actually unrelated to the issue this thread was started for.

The original problem that caused this thread was that people's connections were being interrupted mid session before we even got to the point where the mail client was exchanging usernames and passwords.  That particular problem was down to a single smtp relay and was resolved two days ago.

If you are having password difficulties the fist thing I'd ask is can you log into web mail with the same username and password?

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
an1063
On our wavelength
Message 96 of 102
Flag for a moderator

OK Thanks for clarifying that. I just happened to see the topic/ thread at the top of the VM forum and assumed it was related.

I can log in to webmail ok although the pw here is different, maybe that's the problem?

thanks

0 Kudos
an1063
On our wavelength
Message 97 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Sorry - to update , I can now receive on iPhone but still not send so something still not working.

thanks again for assitance

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 98 of 102
Flag for a moderator

So you can receive but not send, and when sending you get a password error.

Is it possible that you changed your password recently and then followed the "standard advice" of deleting and then re-adding the account to the iPhone?

If so you need to be aware that iOS has a peculiar quirk in that deleting an account doesn't remove the SMTP settings, and when you re-add the account iOS uses any existing SMTP settings for that particular email address.

Have a look at my post here.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ipad-Iphone-SMTP-why-deleting-and-recreating-an-account-D...

Note that Virgin's recommended settings are you use the servers ending in virginmedia.com for both incoming and outgoing on ALL 4 domains, so while the account was for an address ending in virginmedia.com, you should use the same settings for all your email addresses.  (While I know the Screenshots do show smtp.blueyonder.co.uk for another account, I've since updated this on my device).

While the screen may look slightly different on the iPhone, the settings are identical to the iPad.

What I would do is use the advice given and change the username to your FULL email address e.g. joebloggs@ntlworld.com and delete and re-enter the password.

There is an additional quirk when updating the settings in that if the password is not accepted iOS reports that the server failed to respond.  But we'll deal with that IF it happens.

Tim

0 Kudos
an1063
On our wavelength
Message 99 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for this Tim

It seems I unwittingly updated/ changed my VM password - resetting it as you suggested has bought everything back to life.

Its still surprising Apple have not updated their odd smtp behaviours with an update to the IOS.

Still I'm up and running and will update home devices similarly.

Thanks for helping once again.

Andy

Superuser
Superuser
Message 100 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Now you've got it working one one device, the next thing to remember is that all devices behave the same way as far as SMTP, IMAP and POP is concerned.  So while the interfaces may look different.  The critical settings are exactly the same for ALL devices.  Once one device is working, provided you have the right settings ALL of them should work.

Tim

0 Kudos