Menu
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 11 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Locked out of email

Fish66

What do you expect me to do? I have told you that you are not entitled to a VM e-mail address and that VM are closing accounts like yours to which they have no entitlement.  As a paying VM broadband customer I wonder what responsibility I have to keep on advising people with no entitlement to VM services on ways round the problem and whether it is right to put the interests of non-VM customers ahead of the interests of VM customers. You get my drift.

There is one more thing you can try. Log-in to your e-mail account via web mail and try to use the "forgotten password" link to change your password. This will only work if you have set a security question in the past. You may have to enter the answer in uppercase. Then use the e-mail client to access your mail with the new password.  If that doesn't work  you must understand that we have exhausted any help we can give.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Fish66
Tuning in
Message 12 of 18
Flag for a moderator

It just would have been nice if VM could warned me so that I could tidy things up before they chopped me off.   It doesn't do much for customer relations,  I think I'll close my other mobile accounts now too.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Knows their stuff
Message 13 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@Fish66 wrote:

It just would have been nice if VM could warned me so that I could tidy things up before they chopped me off.   

I couldn't agree more. It seems almost vindictive behaviour on their part that they don't do that.

I think I'll close my other mobile accounts now too.

If you can get a better deal then fine. However, the important lesson to learn from this is never to rely on the 'free' email service offered by any of the Internet Service Providers. Switch to Outlook.com, Gmail or one of the many other email providers. That way you will avoid ending up in this position again.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Forum Team (Retired) Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 14 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Fish66,

I took the liberty of searching our data base for your (Forum registered) name and site I.D. 34  and, if my findings are correct, it may be possible to grant temporary access. I don't want to get your hopes up though - I might have located the wrong email address and may be unable to help.

But if you'd like me to check just reply to my PM (purple envelope top right) and I'll get back to you 🙂

Jen
Forum Team

Fish66
Tuning in
Message 15 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Jen - I have resolved the issue now, but thank you for taking the time to reply.

Regards.

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 16 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@HowardML wrote:

VM have never, and do not know offer a free e-mail service. In every incarnation of virgin.net addresses there was financial consideration involved whether paying for dial-up or via VM's former ADSL service.

My pedantry won't let me let this pass so I'd like to clarify the state of play for the OP.

What was offered on the old CD's WASN'T "FREE EMAIL", it was "FREE INTERNET ACCESS".  That Internet access DID ALSO include an email service, but there was a caveat.

To keep the internet account and the associated email address alive, you had to use your dial up modem to dial in to the ISP's internet service and sign in AT LEAST ONCE IN 180 days.  Fail to do so and both internet and the associated email account should have closed.

The "FREE INTERNET ACCESS" was in reality subsidised by the cost of your phone calls to the dial up service (you paid the bill to your phone provider and they gave the ISP a cut of the money, most people just never realised that some of their phone bill went to the ISP).

Virgin Media ended the dial up service back in 2013 so in reality the majority of email addresses linked to those accounts should have long since expired, but these addresses have lingered on as orphan accounts.  Virgin Media have periodic culls of such accounts, and with good reason too, server space costs money, so everyone who is using the email service but not paying into the company by having broadband internet is in fact a drain on finances.  It might seem cold to put it that way, but it's a fact.

Edit I see that @Fish66  has resolved the issue however I'd point out that the email address should be considered to be liable to closure at any time.  So it's best to look for an alternative non ISP linked address ASAP.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Fish66
Tuning in
Message 17 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Tim.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 18 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Fish66,

Glad you resolved this but please be aware of the shelf-life of any email address that is not linked to an active VM broadband service. I'd hate for you to be using the address again only to find further on that it has been removed 😕

Jen
Forum Team