Menu
Lodekka
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hacked virgin.net account? Delete?

I am VM account holder forbroadband and telephone. My old virgin.net email account is sending out lots of emails to addresses I've never heard of (and I'm not sending them) . I get mailerdaemon messages to say emails were undeliverable . I assume I have been hacked in some way? If I asked for the account to be deleted would it stop this from happening?

As an aside, I no longer use the account and would like it if no-one was able to successfully send emails to this account . A few contacts are still using it, and my holiday message asking to use my new email address doesn't seem to have deterred them.

I have a Virgin media email address, but my day to day address is a gmail one .

Any help gratefully received!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hacked virgin.net account? Delete?

more likely someone is spoofing your address to send spam

0 Kudos
Lodekka
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

So, deleting it won't stop the spamming? 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@Lodekka wrote:

So, deleting it won't stop the spamming? 

That depends on the circumstances.  If the messages are coming from mailer-daemon@virginmedia.com then it is a strong indicator that someone is using your VM log on credentials to send spam emails, either that or they have another VM users email credentials and are spoofing the sender name as yours, this second option is less likely.

Best to follow all the steps mentioned in this help file: help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked