Menu
SH_30
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Emails not being received from certain email addresses

Recently, I've stopped receiving emails from my local veg box scheme and Asda supermarket for online deliveries and they are not in Spam (my Spam settings are ‘Move to Spam folder’).  

The veg box ones are not delivered at all.  However with Asda, if I update my order on the website, the automatic email confirmation comes through, but where Asda generate an order update / confirmation email at their end - e.g. once they've picked the order or to issue a refund, these are not being delivered despite coming from the same email address: home.shopping@asda.co.uk.

I'm not too worried about the vegbox one as I can call them, but Asda is a pain as I don't know what is actually coming in my delivery or what I’m being charged. 

Can anyone shed any light? Apologies for the lengthy post, I wanted to make sure I included as much info as possible. 

Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Emails not being received from certain email addresses

Hi there @SH_30

Welcome to our Community and thanks so much for your first post on our forums - sorry that you're having some issues with receiving emails at the moment. 

Can you advise how you are accessing your emails? Is this via webmail or an email client? 

Do you know if the people sending the emails are getting any undeliverable messages at their end? Have you tried sending any test messages from another email address at all to see what happens? 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
SH_30
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Katie

Many thanks for your reply. 

I've checked for the emails in both places - webmail and email client (Thunderbird) and they are appearing in neither.  

The Veg box people are not receiving undeliverable notices but I don't know about home.shopping@asda.co.uk as I can never get through to them on the phone and there's no email support for things like this!  It's odd that it's not all emails from their site, but specific ones. 

Regarding your point 'Have you tried sending any test messages from another email address at all to see what happens?', I'm not sure I understand as it's not an issue when I send emails out but when emails are coming in to me, but apologies, I may have misunderstood what you meant.

Hope this additional info is useful and thanks again for replying!

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@SH_30 wrote:

Regarding your point 'Have you tried sending any test messages from another email address at all to see what happens?', I'm not sure I understand as it's not an issue when I send emails out but when emails are coming in to me, but apologies, I may have misunderstood what you meant.

I think what Katie was suggesting was for you to send a test message to your VM email account from another email address if you have one, (or possibly get someone you know to send you a test email) to see if  the test generates a Non Delivery message or whether the test message is received in your email account. (Apologies to Katie_WT if I have misinterpreted 😔)

I also have a couple of suggestions.

Sign into your VM webmail account here https://mail2.virginmedia.com/  and check:

1) if a hacker has set up a filter rule in your VM Webmail account to divert incoming messages to another email account they control.

You can check for filters by:

Clicking on the System menu icon (the 3 horizontal bars) on the right side of the menu bar

Then click the Settings menu option.

Expand the Email options item from the list.

Select Filter Rules from the new list

That will show any filters that have been set up.

If there are filters you do not recognise you will need to follow the steps here: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked

If there are no filter rules set up in your Webmail account then you should:

2) Check to see if the missing messages are in the SPAM folder. If they are not, then  go to the Settings I mentioned earlier and click on SPAM Settings. Check that they are set to "Move message to SPAM folder" rather than "Reject all SPAM messages".

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
SH_30
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hello Coenoby

Thanks so much for your reply and for explaining about the Test message.  I've just sent one from another account to me and it has arrived safely in my email account. 

Regarding point 1) Filter rules, I've checked this and there was only a Vacation one set up that I think might be just a standard / default one as it was not enabled.  I've deleted it just in case. 

With point 2) SPAM and SPAM settings, the missing emails are not there either (was the first place I checked!) and the SPAM settings are already set to 'Move message to SPAM folder'.

It's so odd that those few emails keep going missing and I've even added them to my Address list on webmail in the hope that it might help but to no avail!

Thanks again for your help and if you have any other thoughts, they'd  be most welcome as I'm really at a loss!  

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@SH_30 wrote:

if you have any other thoughts, they'd  be most welcome as I'm really at a loss!  

You said earlier that one of the senders (the veg box scheme) are not receiving non delivery messages. That is odd because if their email server is unable to deliver an email for any reason it will automatically generate a message back to the sender to explain what has happened and why.

Without being able see a non delivery message it is pure guesswork trying to work out what has happened to the missing email. If you don't receive any emails from the veg box scheme the first thought is that they are sending the emails to the wrong address. I know it seems silly but it does happen.

With regard to the Asda emails, that is even stranger because you are getting the confirmation emails from the website but not the update email to confirm that your order has been processed. However, it is worth bearing in mind that although the emails have the same sender address, the two sets of emails may be generated and sent out using different methods. That might explain why one set of emails get through and the other set does not. But, again, without sight of a non delivery message it is simply a guessing game as to what is happening.

My only suggestion is that since you have access to another email address (hopefully a non VM address) that you change the email address on the ASDA website and for the veg box scheme to your alternative address and see if the emails can be received satisfactorily in that mailbox.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
SH_30
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Coenoby

Thanks for your reply. It is indeed a mystery as the Veg box people have been emailing for the last two years and the emails have only stopped in the last few weeks and nothing has changed at their end (in terms of the address being used)!

I'm in a bit of rock and hard place with Asda and can't change the email address on the account as it's the one that has been sent to them via the Government so that I can arrange for food to be delivered to my extremely vulnerable elderly parent at the current time.  If I change it, I will no longer have access to priority slots for them which would be a real problem. 

Think I'll have to put up with it for that reason and hope that in the meantime, there might be a solution / explanation out there!  

Thanks again for your replies, they are much appreciated. 

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The Veg Box people should still be able to check their mail server logs to determine what's happening here.  The logs will contain information detailing mail delivery/delays and non delivery.

Tim

Edit - do you know what domain they are sending from?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

SH_30
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tim

Many thanks for your reply.  I know the domain name they are sending their emails from and I'll check to see if they are receiving non-delivery notices but I'm not sure they are as when I called to query this, they didn't mention it (however, they may not have checked)!

Really not sure what I can do about the more pressing Asda ones though as they are uncontactable about things like this!

Thanks again for your reply!

0 Kudos
PhilJohnson
Just joined
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I don't suppose there was an answer to this issue? I have recently been on the opposing end of this where we have had reports of not receiving emails from us to their Virgin media email address.

The emails are automatically generated, in cases such as a password reset for our site, or confirmation emails for actions they have made on the site 

We have received multiple reports of this from Virgin media email addresses and have been told that they do not arrive at all at the address (nothing in junk/spam).. 

0 Kudos