Menu
harrietsj
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Cannot send emails in Thunderbird

I'm using my laptop away from home (in SE Asia) and none of my ntlworld.com addresses can connect to the smtp server via Thunderbird. I've checked and rechecked all the settings - smtp.virginmedia.com - full email address - 465 - ssl etc. Incoming is fine and I can send via webmail but that's very inconvenient. Any ideas? Has my IP address been blocked?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Cannot send emails in Thunderbird

No your IP address has not likely been blocked. But you are in an area where spammers and spam sending is prevalent and VM apply very strict and very low limits on the amount of outgoing mail allowed from a non-VM IP in such areas in an effort to prevent spamming.  The counter resets every 24 hours and each recipient in each mail counts as one mail. Your only alternative is to use web mail where the sending limits are much higher because it is more difficult for spammers to use web mail to spam.

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
harrietsj
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

OK. Thanks. So there's nothing I can do to prove to VM that I'm not a spammer. Interesting that it resets every 24 hours.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Correct, the timing limits are applied automatically. It resets because VM can't put up a wall that that would prevent customers sending from abroad. The system is a deterrent not a barbed wire fence.

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

If you have no alternative but your ISP's email service then consider trying the following if using IMAP to ease the pain :

• compose emails in Thunderbird but instead of sending save as draft
  • sign into webmail, edit draft and send