Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

annoying calls from [not] VM

in the last couple of weeks I have had calls on my VM Mobile from 0800 1836416, a man with quite poor english on a terrible line was purporting to be from VM and wanted my account details.

now, my last calls to VM I have to give my pasword [3 different letters from it] via the phone keypad, this person was asking for them over the phone, I said I couldnt remember and hung up.

I could tell it was a fake call

they tried a couple of other times but I didnt answer, and upon trying to ring the number back its just dead

anyway they rang again today while I was out, and when asked for 3 digits of my password I have 3 digits that were not even in it, and they said "ok thats gone through...." after which I hung up - SUSSED YOU

how can I get these calls rejected?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: annoying calls from [not] VM

I've been getting similar only in my case they are voice mails on my home phone telling me my internet security has been breached and they are going to turn off my internet I should press  1 to speak to an agent now ... no company name nothing! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi RL161,

I'd just like to confirm that this is a genuine Virgin Media number used for sales purposes.

In order to pass security we would ask for certain characters from your memorable account information. If security cannot be passed this way, the agent would then move on to ask secondary questions about the account.

Apologies if the calls have been bothering you, you have the option to opt out of marketing preferences here.

Kind regards,

Beth

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Start your own thread 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yes that number is a genuine VM number, but you CANNOT rely on caller ID. The call could come from anyone, as it’s so easy to spoof caller ID, do NOT rely on caller ID. Just ask all those bank customers who have lost money. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi RL161

Depending on what handset you have and if the calls are from the same number you can block the number from the phone option of the handset. Please be aware this will only block calls from that number and not it's possible the people calling may have other numbers.

As advised that the number given is a genuine Virgin Mobile number you can also update your marketing preferences to prevent genuine calls like this from us.

Rob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have barred the call via its ID but calls have still appeared to come through via that number

I have had about 10 of these calls now, I know its not VM as it is the same person on the other end of the call each time, they have asked for this that and the other letters of my password and each time I have bothered to speak I have given different randon letters after which they say "all ok, that gone through fine"

its about then my patience has worn thin playing the game so have hung up.

0 Kudos