Menu
Lovecatx
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Strange call apparently from Virgin

On Friday the 1st of February, my partner received a call that appeared to be from Virgin Media, asking to speak to me. He said I wasn't available and that they should just talk to him (I'm Autistic and this is our usual way of doing things) and so they did, without getting any confirmation from myself (usually when it comes to official business, I need to give my consent for someone else - be it my partner or my mum - to speak on my behalf) which was a bit peculiar.

They then went on to say that someone was going to be moving into our house and that we'd be moving out so the new tennant wanted info on what the wifi coverage is like in our area? Or something like that, I can't remember exactly. They had my full name and address correct.

But this notion of us moving house was totally wrong. We have not in any way expressed a desire to move. We have rented this property for many years and we don't intend to give it up any time soon.

I am concerned as to what went on. I'm asking the community first because I can't find a straightforward way to contact Virgin myself - I am most comfortable with typing out my whole problem like you do with other sites. But for here I can only find conversation-type-contact like phonecalls or text chat. So asking people's opinion first seems sensible before I bite the bullet and contact Virgin directly.

We've had enough issues recently with Virgin and their outrageous 0.25mbps (that is not hyperbole, I literally do mean ¼mb) download speeds recently without extra stuff causing us problems.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Strange call apparently from Virgin

I can't imagine virgin doing this it's difficult enough to get them to phone you back let alone phone a 3rd party on someone else's behalf, also I would have thought it would break the data protection act in some way 

0 Kudos
chenks
Wise owl
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

clearly wasn't virgin calling you.
scam call simply to gather your details and confirm it's a "live" telephone number,
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lovecatx, 

Welcome to the forums. 

Sorry to hear of the experience that you've had here, this sounds really odd. We would never call and require this information as we can see the details from out end. Can you confirm what the number was that called you? 

Thank you 🙂 

Ryan_N - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Does not matter what phone number called the OP, it’s easy to spoof a number, so the caller Id would say a valid VM number, but it was actually someone else. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2