cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation to a basement flat

niklondon
Joining in

Hi all,

I am about to move home and I wanted to enquire about the installation and what might be needed. My flat is located at a small High street and the building's front door is by the public pavement. According to Virgin media installation videos is quite straightforward once your apartment has a wall facing the street. What happens when the flat is located at the basement level. How do you bring the cables in. Do you use communal areas or existing ducting cable routes. For example there is a cupboard next to the entrance with TV cabling and a hole that goes underground. Is there a standard practice to use existing cable routes?

3 REPLIES 3

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @niklondon thanks for your post here in the Community - welcome!

So that is correct, usually the installation is fairly routine but it can vary depending on the layout of the property and what cabling is there to start with.

If there are further works to be carried out though, these will be discussed with the technician during the installation date, as they'd need to assess the property itself.

We would advise speaking to our Sales Team on 0800 183 1234 and they can explore any further queries you have, and get a date set in for you.

Many thanks

Tom_W

niklondon
Joining in

So I know that there isnt any existing virgin media cabling. So a team is due to do the prepull in the next few days but wasnt sure what to expect about the installation day. In the videos showed by virgin they usually drill the outside wall of a house. So if the flat is not accessible from an outside wall . does this mean that they use the existing cabling routes (currently used by the TV cables or other)?

Hi @niklondon thanks for your reply here.

So usually, the prepull is what gives any answers as to the extent of any work that is needed to be carried out, so you should have more information following this once you've been visited by the team.

Usually, the cables provided by us are different to any other existing TV outputs but if there's already a route in place by an alternative set up, we'll do our best to follow that but sadly can't guarantee it.

Sometimes, another route needs to be drilled but we'll always try not to do this. As mentioned though, there will be more answers following the prepull visit in a few days time.

Many thanks

Tom_W