cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New hub when upgrading package

roastspud
On our wavelength

Does anybody know if upgrading to Gig1 will allow me to get a new hub? We currently have M350 and a Hub4 however we have a few dead spots where we lose connection. Im sure the hub 5 (being wifi 6) would cover these areas.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@roastspud wrote:

So are you saying Hub5 is no better than Hub4?

Would the booster be a better option?

As Tudor says, WiFi 6 available on the hub 5 doesn't offer any greater range as such than that used by the hub 4 - what it does do however is provide better speeds at a given distance, and cope better in congested areas (like shopping malls and railway stations, or blocks of flats).  It also needs devices to be capable of WiFi 6, which basically means the newest and latest phones, tablets and laptops etc.

If the signals from your current hub are not reaching distant rooms then a Hub 5 is unlikely to reach there either.

What makes you sure that WiFi 6 would cover them?

Some options are;

• Persuade VM to provide you with a Hub 5 and see (good luck)
  • Upgrade to a 1gig package - that might mean you get a Hub 5 to see
  • Look at the WiFi Max offer to get pods - see here  - but personally I wouldn't want to pay the extra £8/month to rent the pods - you would likely be better off being your own kit outright - get a decent mesh system
  • Run Ethernet cable to the distant rooms and put a wireless access point on them.  I'm not a fan of doing similar with Powerline (Ethernet over mains) as they can be problematic and cause interference elsewhere.  They also depend on your mains wiring layout.
  • Get your own mesh system
  • Get a mobile SIM card from O2, through your VM account, so you can get Volt - that should qualify for the WiFi Max and cost no more than the £8/month (and you get an extra mobile line)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You probably would not get a hub upgrade. In any case WiFi 6 has no greater range than WiFi 5.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

roastspud
On our wavelength

@roastspud wrote:

As Tudor says, WiFi 6 available on the hub 5 doesn't offer any greater range as such than that used by the hub 4 - what it does do however is provide better speeds at a given distance, and cope better in congested areas (like shopping malls and railway stations, or blocks of flats).  It also needs devices to be capable of WiFi 6, which basically means the newest and latest phones, tablets and laptops etc.

If the signals from your current hub are not reaching distant rooms then a Hub 5 is unlikely to reach there either.

What makes you sure that WiFi 6 would cover them?

Some options are;

• Persuade VM to provide you with a Hub 5 and see (good luck)
  • Upgrade to a 1gig package - that might mean you get a Hub 5 to see
  • Look at the WiFi Max offer to get pods - see here  - but personally I wouldn't want to pay the extra £8/month to rent the pods - you would likely be better off being your own kit outright - get a decent mesh system
  • Run Ethernet cable to the distant rooms and put a wireless access point on them.  I'm not a fan of doing similar with Powerline (Ethernet over mains) as they can be problematic and cause interference elsewhere.  They also depend on your mains wiring layout.
  • Get your own mesh system
  • Get a mobile SIM card from O2, through your VM account, so you can get Volt - that should qualify for the WiFi Max and cost no more than the £8/month (and you get an extra mobile line)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

roastspud
On our wavelength

Thanks. To be honest the hub should cover the house. The last BT hub did so I'm not sure why this one struggles. Ethernet would be messy, powerline wouldnt work as we have a spd on the fusebox. I could give mesh a go i suppose but then i would have to have the hub in modem mode and have additional devices plugged in. I have just upgraded to Gig1 so should be able to get a pod free.. if im reading correctly

Pilzo
On our wavelength

I have the 1Gb stupidhub5 and I wouldn't bother. Constant disconnects and extremely high latency. Had mine for less that 2 months and virgins response to this is shocking. I am in the process of cancelling this abysmal service and I have to wait a month for a resolution. Terrible service and a terrible company when dealing with complaints. Avoid.

roastspud
On our wavelength

Ah i wont bother asking for a new hub then. Sorry to hear that. Hope you get sorted soon. Hopefully i can just get a pod and that sorts things out

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

See this.....

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless and poor value “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you. VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 20 Mbps/room it’s now called… Wifi Max
See if anything in here helps….

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/wifi-max

You call 0800 064 3850 to order the first one after scanning for blackspots using the connect App.- or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you. If you do call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible it will be £5 or £8 month - you are… and it wont be - just look on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

If you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point or (4), A combination of (2&3).

£40-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage. Spend more for additional advanced“features” - if required.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

If you've ordered 1 gig you'll likely need a new hub anyway to support DOCSIS 3.1 which the hub 3 doesn't.

Then use the connect app to check coverage and order Pods as necessary.

With respect, another customers issues with the hub 5 could be for seasons other than WiFi.

The BT hubs are the best of the ISP provided routers as per substantiated marketing claims.  It simply out performs the VM hub.  Moving to 1gig, get a hub 5 (needed for the line speed) & pod