cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technical Fault You Won't Fix ??

Andy-2608
Tuning in

Before I contact disconnections (I'm that angry), please give a a sanity check her !

I has an issue with my home hub 2, with poor wifi and red power light all the time.
I followed process, hub was confirmed faulty and a replacement dispatched.

I fitted new hub, and had nothing but agro with setup initially requiring a reset multiple times before sort of working.
I work from home, and have two PC's connected by two different Cat 5 cables to the ethernet ports on the hub.
It was immediately obvious that these PC's were having issues connecting to the internet when first switched on, and can take at worse up to 5 minutes to establish a connection.

Whilst this is going on I will point out that wifi connections are available, its only the ethernet connections that are affected.
Old hub didn't have this error, new hub does !!
Two different PC's on two different Cat5 cables affected, so its NOT my equipment !

Once connection to the internet is made, it will maintain the connection for the duration of the session.
However if a PC is switched off or put to sleep, we have to repeat the wait to get a connection again, with all tests reporting no internet connection.

I'm assuming these hubs are referbed units ?
This one has an issue that I didn't have until this hub was connected.

Support claim they can't see an issue (as stated, one it does connect its stable), so only suggestion is an engineer visit at my cost !!

So you sent me a replacement hub that has an issue, and I have to pay for someone to come and look at it !
Best bit is, even if they confirm the hub is faulty, apparently I STILL have to pay for the engineer visit !

How can this be right ??
I asked for escalation to team leader or manager, basically refused.

I have worked in customer service industries for 30 years, and this is NOT customer service.
Before I decamp to Sky, am I right in thinking this simply isn't right ??

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Andy-2608 👋 Thank you for getting back to us and for continuing to update the thread!

I can appreciate your frustration given your experience with the fault, and that you have already had a replacement. 

I'd like to offer some help, so I'm going to send you a PM to confirm a few details to investigate further and offer support - this includes discussing the complaint further along with the resolution. 

You can find the PM in the top right corner of the page in your Inbox. 📩 We can then return to this public thread with another update when possible. Thank you for your patience in the meantime!

Wishing you all the best. 🌞

Molly

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The £25 fee is only paid if the technician can find no fault with your Hub.  Yes, all the VM Hubs are reused and not new.  However, your SH2 should have been replaced a long time ago as they are not capable of fully using the VM infrastructure. 

Also, try a 60 second factory pinhole reset to fully reinitialise the Hub as below;
Remove any ethernet cables from the Hub and hold the pinhole reset switch for 60 seconds. Do NOT reboot the Hub, just let it do it's thing. Note you will need the passwords from the bottom of the Hub afterwards, so make sure they are legible. NOTE this will remove any custom settings you may have set in the Hub, and they will all have to be setup again.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Sabrina_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Andy-2608 👋.

Thanks for reaching out to us and welcome to the Community Forums. Apologies for the issues that you have had with your ethernet ports on your new Hub. Please could you advise if you are using the ethernet ports singularly, and not one port split over several devices as this can cause an issue when using incompatible third party extenders. The ideal Ethernet cables to use would be Cat 5e and above. Keep us updated with this.

Reference the £25 engineer call out charge. As Adduxi stated, this is only applicable If there is no fault found with the Hub. With the Hub, not all Hubs are refurbished units, customer services would not be able to advise you if they are or not I am afraid. With t he experience you have had with our contact team, we apologise and this is not the type of service we aim to provide, you can submit a formal complaint here 👉 Complain

Thanks

Sabrina

Andy-2608
Tuning in

As stated, I have two PC's (work & personal) that ate on separate Cat5 cables going back to the hub.
Both go to different ports on the hub, which is why I'm stating the hub has to be the fault because:
1) Both computers affected.
2) I never had this issue with the previous hub, but it started the moment I connected the replacement !

For full confession, this type of diagnostics is my business, and I have used due diligence and covered all bases.
The switch within the hub assembly has an issue, as the WiFi side is not similarly affected, only devices connected via Ethernet.

It would also appear the first level staff need to understand the support network they are supplying. I have full transcript of the exchange between us, and I vary specifically got into the matter of the engineer charge and was categorically informed it was a 'visiting charge' and would hold, even if the hub was proved faulty.

I fail to see why this is so complicated to resolve, its as black and white as it could be, but I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I'm afraid I will be using the complain button you provided and will be looking for al alternative service provider after 17 years with this company, I'm that annoyed over the sheer amount of hours I have had to sink into this situation so far.
I'm away on business for five days as of tomorrow, so I will pick this up again next week.

For info, with all the evidence I provided all I was looking for was for someone to agree the replacement hub was not fit for purpose, and to replace it again. Simple customer service really to retain a 17 year customer, but it appears that just didn't figure.
If one of my agents had produced this situation, I would have them om a disciplinary personally.

carl_pearce
Community elder

Which HUB is it?

The HUB 5 might be struggle with cat5 as it could be causing the PCs to negotiate at 100Mbps instead of 1Gbps.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"two different Cat 5 cables to the ethernet ports on the hub."
Are you sure they are Cat5 cables not Cat5e cables? Cat5 cables are only rated to 100M, when Cat5e cables are rated to 1000M. Cat5 cables often only have two twisted pairs connected, while Cat5e cables us all four pairs. I know it’s being pedantic, but when you are referring to computer equipment you must be accurate, otherwise you will get the wrong answer.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Andy-2608
Tuning in

Hi,

To clarify its a Hub 3, and Cat5e cables.
Please note my comments this was existing networking that was functioning without issue.
Router power light went from white to red.
Router tested, and replacement sent.
This situation was immediate with the replacement Hub 3 connected.
I can't make it any clearer.
Also note, once connection is established after a couple of minutes, it remains connected and stable for the duration of the session.
Its just on next restart when a connection request is made we have no connection again for the couple of minutes.

I wish you luck with your CAT5 cable and new provider 

Made VM change the NIC chips that don't work as well.

Disable EEE or green Ethernet on your NIC settings

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Andy-2608 👋 Thank you for getting back to us and for continuing to update the thread!

I can appreciate your frustration given your experience with the fault, and that you have already had a replacement. 

I'd like to offer some help, so I'm going to send you a PM to confirm a few details to investigate further and offer support - this includes discussing the complaint further along with the resolution. 

You can find the PM in the top right corner of the page in your Inbox. 📩 We can then return to this public thread with another update when possible. Thank you for your patience in the meantime!

Wishing you all the best. 🌞

Molly

Andy-2608
Tuning in

Topic can be closed off thanks.
Molly took charge of the situation and dispatched a replacement router again.
100% fix the instance it was connected proving the last replacement part had a defect.
I have some faith restored once I was able to discuss with an agent who was empowered to make a decision.
Thanks all.