cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook SMTP SSL Error

techweb
On our wavelength

I am using a very old e-mail client Outlook 2010 but until today have had no issues sending / receiving mail. However today I get this:

"0x800CCC1A " your server does not support the encryption type you have specified"

I wonder if some new requirements have been put in place for SSL encryption for SMTP.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

hippyclone
Up to speed

Same issue with my up to date email client; "SSL/TLS handshake failed". Something has changed and/or broken but no idea what.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

28 REPLIES 28

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@techweb wrote:

I am using a very old e-mail client Outlook 2010  :

"0x800CCC1A " your server does not support the encryption type you have specified"

I wonder if some new requirements have been put in place for SSL encryption for SMTP.

If you are using the correct port settings in Outlook then based on previous experience it's more likely to be a Microsoft issue.

Here are the correct settings for all the VM domains:

Incoming
Account type IMAP
Username richard.branson@virginmedia.com (your full email address)

Server port 993
Authentication Password
SSL/TLS Yes
Server host imap.virginmedia.com

or:
Account type POP3

Server port 995
Authentication Password
SSL/TLS Yes
Server host pop3.virginmedia.com

Outgoing
Account type SMTP

Server port 465
Authentication Password
SSL/TLS Yes
Server host smtp.virginmedia.com

If your settings are correct here is a link to some suggestions for resolving the 0x800CCC1A  error

https://www.msoutlookhelp.com/blog/outlook-error-0x800ccc1a/

On the other hand, one recent poster https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/0x800ccc1a-Microsoft-Outlook-2010  found they got that error with Outlook 2010 after they reactivated their computer from "sleep". However, they found that everything was ok if they used the "hibernate" option instead.

Personally, my solution would be to stop using Outlook 2010 and use the free, open source email client Thunderbird instead 😉 https://www.thunderbird.net 

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Mamba
On our wavelength

You might find it's just the latest outage after last night's 'maintenance'?  See https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Loss-of-Email-F010762348/td-p/5345262/page/159 

hippyclone
Up to speed

Same issue with my up to date email client; "SSL/TLS handshake failed". Something has changed and/or broken but no idea what.

Hi hippyclone

Our teams were working through the night to complete planned and essential work to our email service. This was carried out overnight to minimise disruption for our email users, but unfortunately we have since encountered some technical difficulties this morning which means email users may be experiencing intermittent issues with their email service. We apologise for the inconvenience this is causing and our teams are working to resolve it as soon as possible.

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

VMCopperUser
Wise owl

The servers appear to be down at the moment, I personally wouldn't tinker with the settings just yet until things are fixed.  I sent an email and it reported as failed, but it went through - so it might be worth waiting if you can.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.

@Vikki_M : Thanks for the update. The issue is continuous rather than intermittent for me. I am wondering why, if this was planned work, notification of it arrived so late in the day but, most importantly, is there an ETA for when the issue is expected to be resolved?

techweb
On our wavelength

I am going to wait and see what happens when the issues are resolved. Hopefully the error Outlook throws is just a symptom of the wider problems.

Hi Techweb 👋🏼.

Thank you for posting. Welcoming you onto our community forum ☺.

Our teams were working through the night to complete planned and essential work to our email service. This was carried out overnight to minimise disruption for our email users, but unfortunately we have since encountered some technical difficulties this evening which means email users may be experiencing intermittent issues with their email service. We apologise for the inconvenience this is causing and our teams are working to resolve it as soon as possible.

Thank you. 

Ari - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

techweb
On our wavelength

Well... seems that I am still having issues with SMTP on Outlook 2010. This was working fine earlier in the week so something is definitely awry. Will investigate more tomorrow