cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of Email - F010762348

ModTeam

Resolved

Hi,

We are aware that some customers are experiencing issues with their email service and are very sorry for the inconvenience this is causing. Our teams are working flat out to fully restore all emails as soon as possible.

ModTeam

Update 13/07/23 - This has now been resolved. If you are still having issues, please make your own separate post giving as much detail as possible.

3,132 REPLIES 3,132

Tattooboi
Tuning in

im still waiting.... an apology isn't good enough. people are losing holidays, all receipts and contact details and address are lost........ its not on.

Hi @alysina and possibly others (as maybe this isn't as clear as VM think it is):

In order to access your email through a 3rd Party Client Application such as Outlook, iPhone mail app, etc., you now need to use a separate (Application) Password to the one you use to access your VM Account/Webmail.

This seems to have been introduced or, perhaps, more rigorously enforced, following the recent outage...

You can generate this App Password here: https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/account-settings/mail-settings

Add the generated Password to your mail application's settings and you should be GTG...

P.S. You should probably create a backup before you make this change if you use IMAP, as when you now (hopefully) successfully connect to the VM Server, your local folder structure will synchronise with the now empty folder structure on the Server...

@ModTeam Given the amount of people on this thread that have struggled with this, surely that indicates that your messaging around it needs to be updated to be more accessible and/or more clear...

Lupin-2
On our wavelength

Hello.  We left on holiday on 20 June when the VM email service was down.  Got back last night, 27 June, and were pleased to see the service was available again: our Inbox, Sent box and Drafts were restored in full and all emails received in the last week were visible.  However, at some point today all our emails sent and received before 20 June and the contents of our Drafts folder have disappeared entirely.  Have we suddenly been locked out again and since last night?  Or is this still part of the ongoing problem with VM email?  We would be very grateful for any light anyone can shed.  I've checked for similar messages from Community members but not seen one referring to a new and sudden loss today.

MandsG
Joining in

Still no old emails/folders, any update ?

sweepy1
On our wavelength

Hi everyone.....just to up date you all on my case.

I still have no access to my historic folders.

It would be nice to know how many people still have this problem and VM could up date us all on a daily basis as to how many have been fixed.

EG. Monday say (50) people still have an issue

Tuesday this number has been reduced by (5) so now it's (45).

At least we can then see by a simple count that things are moving along.

I was told my problem would be fixed by this weekend after (2) weeks....can't wait for Saturday!!!

Rest assured if it isn't fixed by then I am escalating to the Ombudsman as I am convinced they have lost my data...VM convince me otherwise.

Kind Regards

phil44
On our wavelength

It's likely that as you hadn't viewed your email since you were away, you initially saw an offline copy of your mailbox which was intact. Unfortunately, as soon as your mail client syncd with the VM server which had lost your mail, your email client now reflects the missing mail. No way back unless 1) VM restores your mail which we're all holding our breath for or 2) You backed up to an offline copy of your mail before VM screwed up.

Lupin-2
On our wavelength

Thanks very much, Phil.  That makes perfect sense of what seemed like a further worrying problem.  Will just keep holding my breath then! 

I'm just as frustrated PAndrew8. Last Friday (23rd June) I received the global including the the statement ...As of Tuesday evening, we have restored your ability to send and receive emails from your account. However, we’re aware that you are among a small proportion of users who are currently not able to see historic emails in your inbox. We want to reassure you that we are working to restore your inbox and its contents as soon as possible. ....I suspect it's impacted more than a `small proportion' of people. I just want an honest update. Has Virgin lost all my e-mail folders and if not, when will they be restored? Hopefully before Christmas else I won't be sending any festive greetings. 

paulus

thanks for your response. I set up webmail on my PC 22 years ago and I must admit that although I found it easy then, much of it goes over my head now!

I will do as you suggest.

Another 5 days gone and not a word from VM. Disgrace