cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed much lower than it should be

Makembasher
Tuning in

Had VM in for a week and my download speed should be 500mbs.

On 1st few days no bother, however now it’s sitting at no more than 145mbs, when rebooting it speeds up but then reverts to slower speed.

also as a mobile O2 customer should I not be upgraded at no cost to 1gig being tge next fastest speed? I don’t know what to look for with this new Volt thing!!

8 REPLIES 8

Client62
Legend

Samknows Realspeed

Speed test the service to a Router mode Hub(3/4/5) + your device with the link below.

https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Once the test begins click on: Run full test to see all the stats.

The speed at the Hub should reflect your subscription.

For a WiFi device the speed reflects its capabilities.

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Makembasher 

Thanks for posting on our community forum and sorry to hear about the issue with your broadband.

Have you been able to run a speed test as advised above by Client62? How has your connection been over the past couple of days? Please do provide us with an update if possible.

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See my reply to a similar issue in message 8 here...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Wifi-not-at-the-advertised-speed/td-p/5295422

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello Makenbasher

Sorry to hear of the service issues and download speeds, we appreciate you taking the time to post via the forums.

From checking the account the speeds up till yesterday averaged 1149mbs download, there is currently an ongoing outage our technicians are working on. When you test the speeds, are they over a wired or wireless connection? The speed given is to the Hub but it may differ over a wireless network.

Rob

Overnight last night for example I had no internet at all via the router. I had to revert to 4g which is not good. With Sky this never happened why now with Virgin?

if I do a speed test at random on my iPhone so wirelessly I sometimes get 340mbs but more often as low as 60-75mbs why such a range? 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM had a major outage last night and is now sorted hopefully.

As for the phone, it could be swapping between wifi bands, as the 5Ghz band is faster than the older 2.4Ghz band.

Split the SSID and add an _5 to the end of the 5Ghz band.  That way you can choose which band to use.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Err…..that may as well have been Martian! I didn’t understand a word of the advice you kindly offered!!!

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The Hub uses 2 bands for wifi.  2.4Ghz, older, slower but more range. and the newer 5Ghz band, faster but less range.  They both broadcast using the same name, or SSID.

If you logon to the Hub, you can "split" the SSID by renaming the 5Ghz band by adding an _5 to the end of the name and save the changes.

That way you will end up with 2 wifi names on your Hub, and you can choose between them depending on your needs.

HOWEVER - if you use Pods, or intend to get Pods from VM, you can't do this.  The Wifi Max setup for Pods needs a single SSID.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks