cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange device connected to network

TheBoxman
Tuning in

Hi can anyone help please. When I look at the devices connected to my wifi on the VM connect app I have an unknown device manufacturer  - LG Innotek.

The strange thing is it has the same IP address as my iPhone which is also listed. The MAC addresses are different. 
Sometimes says I can’t pause the iPhone as using the app and other times will say I can’t pause the LG Innotek as it’s using the app but would let me pause the iPhone I am logged in with. I haven’t actually paused the phone in case I can’t get back on.

any ideas please. Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Legend

It is your iPhone.

Gosh a little info can be so dangerous !

All current mobiles and laptops support MAC Address Randomisation

i.e. they can and will appear as Unknown or as a random brand of product and no action should be taken.

Disable MAC Address Randomisation on all your mobiles and laptops if you do not wish to see this.

Do not Pause or Block any unknown devices with the VM Connect app.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

Client62
Legend

It is your iPhone.

Gosh a little info can be so dangerous !

All current mobiles and laptops support MAC Address Randomisation

i.e. they can and will appear as Unknown or as a random brand of product and no action should be taken.

Disable MAC Address Randomisation on all your mobiles and laptops if you do not wish to see this.

Do not Pause or Block any unknown devices with the VM Connect app.

Thank you so much for the answer. The only reason I was looking is I’ve been having problems with my wifi and Virgin just keep saying they are monitoring it. 
I’m very much onboard with your comment about a little info being dangerous which is why I looked but didn’t touch or change anything. I didn’t understand or think two devices could have the same IP or how  if it’s the same device why it would show twice as two different  devices at the same time one as unknown and one as my iPhone. That’s why I was confused. Cheers.

Client62
Legend

Which Hub ?

What are the Wi-Fi Problems ?

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

VM does not monitor your WiFi.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

It’s a hub 3. Problems are devices randomly lose connection to the internet. I’m not sure if it’s lost coming into property of just the wifi. I think it’s WiFi as sometimes other devices appear to be still connected to the internet. Follow the instructions for having probs normally ends up with restarting the hub then everything is fine for a couple of day. Have spoken with virgin number of times they do their checks say everything is fine and will monitor. I’ve moved the hub I’ve move the wifi pod thing they sent me makes no difference. It was fine previously up till a couple of months ago, so can’t see it being the hub position. I think there is a problem with the hub but they won’t listen to me or seem interested in changing it. That’s why I was looking at the devices connected and wondered if two with same IP could be causing the problem. Guess I will just keep calling and moaning till they do something. Thanks for your replies.

Thanks for that, but just telling you what they telling me. They don’t seem very interested, I call they do their tests say it’s fine then say they will monitor it…. 🤷‍♂️

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi TheBoxman 👋

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the Community Forums.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you've been facing with your WiFi. I've taken a look at things on our end, and cannot see anything that could be causing these these intermittent dropouts.

Your Hub is within specification, and your current setup with the Pods seems to be ideal, and no issues are stemming from there. There is very little interference, and the signal to your devices is looking very strong. Is it the same devices that are losing connection? Does it happen in certain places in your property?

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Hi, thanks for the reply. No it’s multiple devices. It does seem to be one area of the property in the dining room which I use as an office. When I do a scan with the VM app says signal strong etc, but then if I try when it’s failing it says “oops something went wrong try again in 10 minutes if that doesn’t work call blah blah blah” it will then either work or tell me to restart the hub and it’s ok for another couple of days. It’s very frustrating especially when all I get from virgin is it’s all fine. Well, obviously it isn’t!

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for confirming that, TheBoxman.

I appreciate the frustration this has been causing, however, based on our checks, there aren't any issues identified on any part of your network, cabled or wireless.

However, I'm going to send you a private message, so we can look into potential fixes for you. Please look out for it int he top-right, white envelope or by tapping your profile picture and then "Messages".

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ