cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roadworks now bad WiFi?

Beaninternet
Joining in

We had some roadworks just a couple of days ago followed by 2 people knocking on our door explaining the reason why our WiFi is now so slow it won't load most websites is due to virgin media having a break in their outdated underground wires. They told us they weren't ever going to be fixed as VM don't have the resources to fix the underlying problems since they've just upgrading the fibre in the area but now it's left us with incredibly slow broadband. The people asked us to sign up to BT on the spot for some sort of deal and of course I didn't sign anything and asked them to leave. But now when I try to check the problems in the area for VM there aren't any and it says our modem is fine in every way despite now needing to use my personal fara around my own house even when close to the modem. I'm going to report a problem because the wired internet is unaffected but I have no idea what any of it was about? Does anyone have any similar experiences?

6 REPLIES 6

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Not personally found that, but not surprised. They were sales people just trying to get commission for a new sale. I'd be surprised if VM staff don't do the same. 

If your VM connection isn't working properly after the street work you need to report it for repair in the usual way. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Although it's worth clarifying - are your slow speeds affecting both wired & wireless connections equally, thus making it a broadband connection issue?

You've only referred to WiFi being slow, and that could be a router/wireless issue with a totally different fix.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Beaninternet wrote:

We had some roadworks just a couple of days ago followed by 2 people knocking on our door explaining the reason why our WiFi is now so slow it won't load most websites is due to virgin media having a break in their outdated underground wires. They told us they weren't ever going to be fixed as VM don't have the resources to fix the underlying problems since they've just upgrading the fibre in the area but now it's left us with incredibly slow broadband. The people asked us to sign up to BT on the spot for some sort of deal and of course I didn't sign anything and asked them to leave. But now when I try to check the problems in the area for VM there aren't any and it says our modem is fine in every way despite now needing to use my personal fara around my own house even when close to the modem. I'm going to report a problem because the wired internet is unaffected but I have no idea what any of it was about? Does anyone have any similar experiences?

I have had all this. I have been told by doorstep callers that Virgin coax connections will soon be obsolete I will have to move to another supplier for fibre. When I then pointed out the brand new fibre box Virgin contractors had just installed next to the coax cabinet, they tried to claim it was THEIRS. "Oh!" I said "so now you can get rid of all these horrid overhead wires & poles & feed me from the Virgin underground duct that box connects too". Subject was hastily dropped.  They will also claim that Virgin TV boxes will work on any providers network. They won't. Don't be conned.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Cardiffman282
Super solver

You may wish to let BT know what their local sales agents are up to https://www.bt.com/help/door-to-door

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Reading the above suggests that any issues you are having are nothing to do with the dodgy sales pitch - so...   are your issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

What Hub model is it? What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens if a Hub3 is the base light a steady white(ish) or flashing green?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @Beaninternet 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums, it's great to have you on the team. 

We are so sorry that you have had this experience with a sales team, and thank you so much to our community for their advise so far. 

I am also so sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your WiFi, can I ask if you are able to confirm jbrennand's questions and we will do all we can to advise?