cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub5 - powercuts - UPS ?

derek765
Dialled in

Morning all
Repeated power outages around me at the moment, only a few seconds but obviously means router reboots and needs to reconnect, so I'm thinking of a small UPS device to protect it.

Any recommendations ? I don't expect to be adding other devices, except perhaps raspberrypi

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This is the newer version of the one I use

APC Back-UPS 650VA, 120V, 8 NEMA outlets (4 surge) - BE650G1 | APC UK

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@derek765 wrote:

Morning all
Repeated power outages around me at the moment, only a few seconds but obviously means router reboots and needs to reconnect, so I'm thinking of a small UPS device to protect it.

Thanks

Might not be a lot of use to you if you are on Virgin’s legacy HFC network. This also relies on the public electricity supply to drive the amplifiers in the cabinets. These are driven via the main node (every 1kM), with intermediate powered cabinets driving several “slave” cabinets. There can be up to 50 cabinets per node. An interruption to any of these cabinets will take the connection out & cause the hub to reboot in order to re-establish its handshake with the CMTS.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, I originally started to use a UPS as we were prone to "brown outs" on the mains, which thankfully have disappeared these past few years  The UPS solved this issue, and I've had it ever since.  It also protects against power surges, so again a worthwhile investment. It's also kept the power on to the Hub, Router and NAS when I've had to knock the power off when carrying out any electrical work.

Apart from this I would agree with @nodrogd  about the loss of power to a greater area.