cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub to router connection speeds

Dosser62
Dialled in

Hello again all. 

Hopefully someone on here can help me solve this mystery.

I have Gig1 connection. I recently ran speed tests on my Hub 4, which was in modem mode connected to my Archer C80 router by ethernet, which in turn was connected to my streaming device by 1Gbps rated VKUSRA USB adaptor. These tests showed my connections to VM servers at roughly 97mbps d/load and 98mbps u/load. However, when I ran my connection through my VPN servers, I was getting roughly 187mbps d/load and 188mbps u/load speeds via the Archer C80 router. 

I contacted VM over the weekend and they ran their tests and decided to send me out a Hub 5, which arrived the other day. I have configured it into modem mode and ran speed tests which still came in at the same speeds as above via the Archer C80.

I contacted VM again this morning and connected the Hub5 direct to my laptop via the VKUSRA adapter and ran the speed test via samknows.com and the results came back as 1143mbps d/load and 90mbps u/load.

However, when I reconfigured my set-up back to normal it was still only giving me 90 odd mbps d/load and u/load speeds via VM and 180 odd mbps via my VPN servers.

I am confused as my Archer C80 is configured as a 1300mbps router and the connection to my streaming device is via a 1gbps rated adapter.

What is happening between my Hub 5 output and router ethernet output?

The WiFi speed from the router is roughly the same as the ethernet connection approx 90mbps.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Legend

roughly 97mbps or a bit less is usually a network cable connection that has de-rated to 100Mb/s.

Don't run a speed tests over the VPN - the results are likely to be totally garbage..  I've seen it here, VPN speed results that are double the VM connection speed and vary wildly when either a TCP or UDP VPN protocol is involved.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

Client62
Legend

roughly 97mbps or a bit less is usually a network cable connection that has de-rated to 100Mb/s.

Don't run a speed tests over the VPN - the results are likely to be totally garbage..  I've seen it here, VPN speed results that are double the VM connection speed and vary wildly when either a TCP or UDP VPN protocol is involved.

Thanks for reply yesterday, sorry I missed it. 

Thanks for the VPN tip, duely noted. 

I assume I need a Cat7 or 8 cable connection from the Hub5 to my router to get the faster speed?

Thanks again. 

Regards

Gerry 

Client62
Legend

Can you see the connection speed on the VM Hub to your Router as dropped to 100 Mb/s ? 
( i.e. this is not a guess at which cable is the issue )

CAT5e is fine for 1Gb/s, it just needs to be a cable that is in spec.
Unless your kit has metal network sockets CAT 7/8 shielded cables are not needed & are best avoided.

Yes, that's the speeds I'm getting from a speed test done on my firestick, which is connected to router via Ethernet as well, using a 1Gbps rated adapter. 

Client62
Legend

I am suggesting look in the menus of the VM Hub and of your Router for real evidence of the 100Mb/s connection.

For a start just try reconnecting  the network cable at both ends.

Will give it another look later when the Wife finishes work from home and get back to you. 

Thanks again. 

I ran a VM Cat 6 cable from the Hub5 to the router and another Cat 6 cable from the router to my firestick. 

Ran a speed test on the firestick's own app and the Ethernet is now coming in roughly 210mbps and WiFi is also around that speed.

Should I quit whilst the going is better? 😎

Regards

Gerry 

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Just connect your laptop directly to the hub and run this test.

https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/ 

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

Has anyone considered that the VM circuit is having problems?  The Cat 6 cable might be a red herring.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)