cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet down but WIFI ok

chowhk
Joining in

Hi there,

The Hub was working fine nearly for 1 year before having this issue on Saturday night (20-Jan)

Now, the Hub 3.0 Wifi is working, but ethernet is down. Exactly same issue mentioned in these two posts. 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Ethernet-down-but-WIFI-ok/td-p/4926567

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Ethernet-ports-stopped-working-Hub-3-0/td-p...

Tried with factory reset with multiple times, still having the same issues. Is that I need to ask for a replacement? Let me know anything I can do next to fix it. Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try the reset one last time - exactly as this..

Note that a pinhole reset on a Hub3/4/5 can be a bit problematic - so do it (again) EXACTLY this way (not as the VM website says!).
Firstly, make sure the Hub's sticker/card with the two passwords on it is still there and legible If not – DON’T DO IT !
With the Hub switched "on", and co-ax still connected, push in the “reset pin” with the end of a paperclip/thin nail/SIM tray “tool” or similar (bigger items like ball point pen ends may not press it in far enough) until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold it there firmly for a "timed" minimum of 60 seconds do NOT manually restart the Hub at any time. Leave it 10' or so to stabilise and then your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and the Wifi networks will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card. The SSID and passwords will revert to those on the sticker too. Make sure you use the wifi one for devices connecting to the wifi and the settings/admin one to access the Hub.
You will need to reconnect your devices if you had changed the password, or just change the password back to your preferred one.
See if that sorts it. If not try again and hold the pin for 90 seconds
If that doesn’t sort it - call it in as faulty (08.00 is the best time [09.00 - Sun]) or wait here a day or so for a VM person

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

chowhk
Joining in

Thanks for your detailed reply. Unfortunately cannot recover after tried 3 more time, even hold the pin for 120 seconds. I think I need a VM support to follow up here. Thanks!

Hi chowhk, 

Thanks for taking the time to contact us via the Community. It's lovely having you on board with us in the Forums.

We're sorry to hear you're having an issue with connecting via ethernet cable and that the hub resets have not helped. 

Can you try plugging the ethernet cable in to another port on the hub? Is there a light showing when the cable is plugged in?

It's also worth trying another ethernet cable in case the one you have is faulty. 

Give these a try and pop back to us with an update so we can then help further. 

Many thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

chowhk
Joining in

Thanks for your reply. I have tried all 4 port on the hub. And tried to exchange the ethernet cable. All cable shows  light as normal in both end. Also tried another device to connect with the hub with ethernet cable, but no luck.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

new hub then

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for trying! @chowhk 

Sounds like the hub maybe faulty so we'd need to send out a technician to have it replaced.

Will pop you a PM 📩 now to get a visit arranged. 

Hope to hear from you soon!

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for confirming the requested details via PM @chowhk 
I've booked a technician for you to come out and replace the hub. You can find confirmation of the visit via your 👉 online account.

Please let me know if there are any problems with the date or time and I can look to reschedule this for you. In regards to the appointment there are some details you need to know about. There will be no charge for this visit unless:

•The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
•The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
•The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for

The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.

Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can also do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.

If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

Let us know how the visit goes!

Ayisha_B
Forum Team