cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t access ntlworld email account

ConfusedBex
Tuning in

Hi,

We’re having a problem with my mum’s account. She has had an ntlworld email address for over two decades and my parents are still virgin media customers, but my mum can no longer access her email account on her Google phone as it keeps asking ‘correct credentials needed - enter credentials for *******@ntlworld.com’ 

We have followed the whole process, try to put the details in on her phone and another error message pops up with ‘Problem with account setup - your username or password is incorrect’. 

We’ve gone into the Virgin media page online and entered another non-VM account for her to verify her ntlworld account through, then get ‘Your Virgin Media Mail account is currently unavailable’. 

Myself and my sister (a software developer) are stumped about how to help our mum! We would love some help please, none of the other threads on here have given us an answer yet. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ConfusedBex Have you followed the process to generate an app password for use with third party email clients?

This is also a requirement to unlock a locked account.

VM have recently changed the log in requirements for accessing VM Mail via third party apps.

If you change the password for the account in My Virgin Media > Account settings > Account details you will not be able to use the new password to access the account via an email client. Email client access now requires an app specific password which can be generated in the MyVM > Account Settings > Account details > Mailbox App password management

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

ConfusedBex
Tuning in

Hi,

I saw this issue and am having the same problem with my mum’s account. She has had an ntlworld email address for over two decades and my parents are still virgin media customers, but my mum can no longer access her email account on her Google phone as it keeps asking ‘correct credentials needed - enter credentials for *******@ntlworld.com’ 

we have followed the whole process, try to put the details in on her phone and another error message pops up with ‘Problem with account setup - your username or password is incorrect’. 
We’ve gone into the Virgin media page online and entered another non-VM account for her to verify her ntlworld account through, then get ‘Your Virgin Media Mail account is currently unavailable’. 

Myself and my sister (a software programmer) are stumped about how to help our mum! We would love some help please. 

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ConfusedBex Have you followed the process to generate an app password for use with third party email clients?

This is also a requirement to unlock a locked account.

VM have recently changed the log in requirements for accessing VM Mail via third party apps.

If you change the password for the account in My Virgin Media > Account settings > Account details you will not be able to use the new password to access the account via an email client. Email client access now requires an app specific password which can be generated in the MyVM > Account Settings > Account details > Mailbox App password management

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

@Graham_A Thank you so much for your help.

We have changed the password, generated an app password for use with third party email clients and finally updated the IMAP settings which seemed to solve the non-appearance issue on the Google phone. 

Fingers crossed that it stays that way - if anyone else sees this and needs the information, we found the IMAP settings info on a Virgin Media help page called ‘How to Manage my Virgin Media Email Account’ and it was quite far down the page under a sub-section called ‘How to set up my Virgin Media email on a device’

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Good to read that your Mum now has access on her phone.

For the benefit of other readers the VM help file mentioned can be found here:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/manage-email-account

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi ConfusedBex,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Sincere apologies for the issues faced, have you tried these following steps;

• Sign in to My Virgin Media
• Go to Account settings, then Account details
• Tap Manage next to Manage your Virgin Media Mail app password under Virgin Media Mail
• Then, under Virgin Media Mail app password tap Get password
• Continue the flow and a new secure password will be generated, and the mailbox unlocked
• Update any third-party apps that may be use to access your Virgin Media Mail emails with this new app password.
Let us know,

Kain

Dear Kain_W,

I have changed my password etc for the ntlworld email and I can still not access emails. PLEASE HELP?

Hi CG11, 

Thanks for taking the time to contact us via the Community. It's lovely having you on board with us in the Forums.

We're sorry to hear you're having an issue accessing your NTL world emails. There are some steps you'll need to follow in order to resolve this. 

Please log in to My Virgin Media here > Click on Account settings > Virgin Media Mail settings > scroll down to the App password section and click the Generate new App password button.

You should get a pop up message asking you to verify your email address and you'll need to use a 3rd party email address to continue. You'll be sent a one time passcode to enter on the next page to verify it's you. Once verified you'll then be given an app password which will look something similar to: mail-horse-yellow-panda and you should note this down.

To get things working on an email client or app again, you will need to enter the new mail password in the settings. This will allow your emails to load again. In some cases, you may need to remove the email account from the mail client or app completely and re-set it up as fresh. If this is the case for you, please ensure you use your VM email address as the username and the newly generated app password.

These changes have been put in place as Multi-factor authentication (MFA) is now required. Just as a side note, when logging in to My VM, you will need to use the third party email address as the username and your original My VM password.

Please let me know how you get on and apologies for the inconvenience.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hello, I have also been having a similar problem for over 1 month now.

My ntlworld email address stopped working. Whenever I try to pick up emails (with the mail programme on my iPad) I now get an account error message..

The main My Virgin Media account is in my husband's name and he can log into it and see his webmail, but I am unable to access mine or reset my password.

Can anyone help?

Hi GillianH

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community.

We are sorry to hear you are having issues with your email account.

Are you trying to access this via our web mail or an app please?

Please pop back to us when you can. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide